Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Biocellguy Biocellguy is offline

Default Symbol different between different MS Office versions

The computer I use at work is on Office 2000 and at home is Office 2003. I
created an equation so letters will be superimposed with a circle on my work
computer in my Word document. My home computer incorrectly assigns the
circle with a different font/symbol. When I open (as I saw in another
persons post) Tools|Options|Compatibility|Font substitution I see Corbel is
substituted with Trebuchet MS, and WP MathA is substituted with Symbol. When
I changed WP MathA to be substituted with a different font, the symbol that
should be a circle changes to something else. Do you know how to bring the
circle back without having to compare my computer with that at my works (I am
working from home this weekend)?

Have a great Independence Day and thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Biocell, you didn't say how you're creating the equation, but my
assumption is that you're using Equation Editor. If that's not the
case, write back with more details; perhaps there's another answer.

Word's Font Substitution doesn't have any effect on equations created
with Equation Editor. It has its own font settings, accessible through
the Style Define dialog. Once this dialog is open, set the styles to
anything you want (presumably a font that matches your document), but
these 3 styles must remain set to Symbol font: LCGreek, UCGreek, and
Symbol. I suspect Symbol style in your document is set to a font other
than Symbol

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

WP MathA is, I believe, a Word Perfect font. The font layout in WP's MathA
font is different from Microsoft's Symbol font; that is, the numeric values
of MathA are different from those for Symbol. ----To take a totally **made
up** example: the circle is at , say, 255 in one font and at, say, 123 in
the other). ---- I'm not sure that Word can make that kind of substitution.
Your solution is to have the required font on both machines. Note that if
you are delivering editable Word files and equations, the receiver will have
a problem like yours.

Longer term, you might want to switch to using Unicode (or the ISO Universal
Character Set). All of Mocrosoft's recent fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, etc.
) are Unicode but the ones with the most characters are Arial Unicode and
Cambria Math, which has the math and science characters but not so many world
alphabets. Both are free. Cambria Math comes in the Compatibility Pack that
allows W2000-2003 to read W2007 files.

HTH,
PamC

Biocellguy wrote:
The computer I use at work is on Office 2000 and at home is Office 2003. I
created an equation so letters will be superimposed with a circle on my work
computer in my Word document. My home computer incorrectly assigns the
circle with a different font/symbol. When I open (as I saw in another
persons post) Tools|Options|Compatibility|Font substitution I see Corbel is
substituted with Trebuchet MS, and WP MathA is substituted with Symbol. When
I changed WP MathA to be substituted with a different font, the symbol that
should be a circle changes to something else. Do you know how to bring the
circle back without having to compare my computer with that at my works (I am
working from home this weekend)?

Have a great Independence Day and thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Biocellguy Biocellguy is offline

Is it possible to add the specific symbol file to the word document? This
idea would be like adding fonts to Adobe Acrobat.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Files live in the Fonts folder in Windows (not in Word at all), so you
just need to be sure that all the computers you're sending your Word
file to have the fonts you used installed on them. Since the one you
need seems to be Cambria Math, and that's part of the free download of
the Compatibility Pack, you should be in good shape.