Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Paul

Default Document Imaging

Hi,

Not really the right place for this post but I can't find a group dedicated
to Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI) so please forgive me trying my
luck here as I've found you're a very clever bunch!

I have a client who recieves documents in TIF format (they are scans of
articles). She prints these documents to paper, then scans them to turn them
into PDF. Obviously I have recomended simply printing these to PDF rather
than messing around with printing and scanning (as this is time consuming
and I believe results in a poorer quality PDF).

My client is concerned that the original TIF files are protected in some way
(expire after a certain period of time) and that directly creating a PDF
could transfer that protection to the PDF file (so that it would eventually
expire).

Question 1
I am 99.9% certain that you cannot put 'rights management' on a TIF file (to
prevent then number of copies you can print or to set an expiry date) - but
can someone who knows more about TIF files confirm this?

Question 2
If I am wrong and TIF files can be protected in this way, is there any way
that this protection could be carried over to a PDF generated by using a PDF
Printer driver? There do not appear to be any security settings on the
resulting PDF files.

Question 3
With the TIF file format and MODI I can OCR the scanned file such that I can
then search for terms within the scanned document. The OCR information is
lost when I convert to PDF and the free Adobe reader does not appear to have
any OCR capabilities. Can PDF support OCRing and then searching a scanned
image like MODI/TIF can do? If so, what tools do I need?

Many thanks,

Apologies again for posting this here - if you know of a better group for
this, please let me know...

Paul