Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tracy at Axis Tracy at Axis is offline

Default Word mailmerge

We have an existing Excel spreadsheet with multiple spreadsheets, the data is
also used as mail merge data with Word. This worked perfectly in Office
2002, as we could choose which worksheet to use. Updated recently to Office
2003 and cannot get this to work, only get the option to choose Entire
spreadsheet, but not the individual worksheets as before. Please help -
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. After
doing that, when you attach the data source to the Mail Merge main document,
you will get a dialog box asking for the method by which the connection
should be made. Try the DDE option.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Tracy at Axis" Tracy at wrote in message
We have an existing Excel spreadsheet with multiple spreadsheets, the data
is
also used as mail merge data with Word. This worked perfectly in Office
2002, as we could choose which worksheet to use. Updated recently to
Office
2003 and cannot get this to work, only get the option to choose Entire
spreadsheet, but not the individual worksheets as before. Please help -
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tracy at Axis[_2_] Tracy at Axis[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the reply, but am already doing this. The data from the 1st
worksheet is all displayed correctly, the problem is that I cannot choose to
use different worksheets each time I either open the word document, or open
new data source. As you suggested I am choosing DDE option, in 2002 the
next dialogue box showed a list of worksheets where we could choose which one
we wanted the data from. In 2003 version only displays 'entire
spreadsheet'. I have tried defining the worksheet in excel but has made no
difference.

Do you have any other suggestions?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I don't think the dialogs changed between 2002 and 2003 - the change
occurred after 2000.
You will get the list of tables if you use OLE DB, ODBC or the converter.
DDE only shows the entire spreadsheet.
Turn off the confirm conversions option and try again.
If you use other converters than DDE you may have to use formatting switches
on your merge fields to convey the correct data

Tracy at Axis wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but am already doing this. The data from the
1st worksheet is all displayed correctly, the problem is that I
cannot choose to use different worksheets each time I either open the
word document, or open new data source. As you suggested I am
choosing DDE option, in 2002 the next dialogue box showed a list of
worksheets where we could choose which one we wanted the data from.
In 2003 version only displays 'entire spreadsheet'. I have tried
defining the worksheet in excel but has made no difference.

Do you have any other suggestions?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the
General tab and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tracy at Axis[_2_] Tracy at Axis[_2_] is offline

Well something had changed, but your advice has worked - thank you. I did
need to use formatting switches to tidy the data up.

Tracy at Axis wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but am already doing this. The data from the
1st worksheet is all displayed correctly, the problem is that I
cannot choose to use different worksheets each time I either open the
word document, or open new data source. As you suggested I am
choosing DDE option, in 2002 the next dialogue box showed a list of
worksheets where we could choose which one we wanted the data from.
In 2003 version only displays 'entire spreadsheet'. I have tried
defining the worksheet in excel but has made no difference.

Do you have any other suggestions?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the
[...]

Can I mailmerge using a Word .doc file Neil Mailmerge 4 June 20th 06 06:41 AM
Mailmerge - Word 2000 Sandra via OfficeKB.com Mailmerge 6 May 23rd 06 12:17 AM
Word Mailmerge geofbranch Mailmerge 2 January 16th 06 05:46 PM
ms word 2003 mailmerge rtucci Mailmerge 1 October 7th 05 04:43 AM
Word mailmerge Newbie Mailmerge 1 July 28th 05 05:06 AM