Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sara Sara is offline

Default How do I hide the formatting symbols?

Greg - I did what you suggested and the dots disappear, but I still have the
paragraph symbol and arrows pointing to addressees and date. It is driving
me crazy. How do I get rid of them - I am a novice user. If I click on
CTRl + Shift+ 8 it goes back to dots between words and if I click again it
gets rid of dots, but the other symbols remain. Any suggestions? Sara

"Greg" wrote:

CTRL+SHIFT+*

See:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you have Word 2003 or earlier, go to Tools Options View. If you have
Word 2007, go to Office button Word Options Display. In either case,
you'll see a series of checkboxes for tabs, spaces, paragraph marks, and so
forth, plus one labeled All. The Ctrl+Shift+8 shortcut only changes the All
setting. If any of the others are checked individually, they won't switch
off when you press the shortcut. Uncheck all of the boxes in that part of
the dialog, and the extra marks will disappear.

You should take a few minutes to learn what the marks are for, because they
can be useful. Read
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Greg" wrote:

CTRL+SHIFT+*

See:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm
I suddenly have all of these symbols everywhere in my

document. I'm assuming
that they're formatting symbols. How do I hide them?

They're too distracting.
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Tools, Options, View and deselect all the items checked under non-printing
characters.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Greg" wrote:

CTRL+SHIFT+*

See:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm
I suddenly have all of these symbols everywhere in my

document. I'm assuming
that they're formatting symbols. How do I hide them?

They're too distracting.
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Did you read the referenced article? It explains that "This button toggles
between display of all nonprinting characters and whatever specific
nonprinting characters you have chosen to display as an alternative." Please
read the further explanation in the article to answer your question.

http://word.mvps.org