Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wazza wazza is offline

Default Shortcut Keys do not work

Hi

I got Office Enterprise 2007 and everything else seem to be working fine
except for Microsoft Word.

The problem is quite fundamental whereby most of the usual shortcut keys do
not work; such as CTRL C, CTRL A, CTRL V, CTRL Z, etc.

This arose (or maybe I just noticed) after I enabled Arabic keyboard in
words. As a result I need to right click everytime I need to execute those
commands. This is very annoying and time consuming.

I've tried to perform 'repair' by using the setup CD but this does not solve
the problem.

Any advice from the expert.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Look at the language bar... I don't know how it works in Arabic, but I do
know that when FR (french) is active, some shortcuts no longer work in
their labeled locations when characters in the selected keyboard are
different. For example, when using french, the A is located on my Q key.
Hence, to get Ctrl+A, I have to press Ctrl+Q.

I don't know if the keystrokes you seek are relocated when Arabic is active,
or if they exist at all. I would experiment to see, though.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Wazza" wrote in message
Hi

I got Office Enterprise 2007 and everything else seem to be working fine
except for Microsoft Word.

The problem is quite fundamental whereby most of the usual shortcut keys
do
not work; such as CTRL C, CTRL A, CTRL V, CTRL Z, etc.

This arose (or maybe I just noticed) after I enabled Arabic keyboard in
words. As a result I need to right click everytime I need to execute those
commands. This is very annoying and time consuming.

I've tried to perform 'repair' by using the setup CD but this does not
solve
the problem.

Any advice from the expert.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wazza wazza is offline

Hi Herb

I thought that is the problem. However, even when I change the setting in
the language bar to be English UK/US and removing Arabic keyboard altogether
from the Word Options do not solve the problem.

This is very annoying and I'm thinking of reverting back to Office 2003, as
it didnt cause me any problem when I change my language setting in 2003
version. I'm willing to forego all the extra features in the 2007 version if
such a simple command can't be performed.

Do you know if I can have both 2003 and 2007 version installed together in
the same computer. Would they conflict each other ?

Thanks.

Wazza
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can have most of Office 2003 and 2007 installed at the same time, but
only one version of Outlook. This article describes one approach to Word
2003 & 2007 coexisting:

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...03-coexisting/

As to your current problem... what happens if you start Word in safe mode?
Hold Ctrl when you start Word, and continue holding it until you see the
safe mode prompt... click Yes to starting in safe mode.

Do those shortcut keys work now?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Wazza" wrote in message
news
Hi Herb

I thought that is the problem. However, even when I change the setting in
the language bar to be English UK/US and removing Arabic keyboard
altogether
from the Word Options do not solve the problem.

This is very annoying and I'm thinking of reverting back to Office 2003,
as
it didnt cause me any problem when I change my language setting in 2003
version. I'm willing to forego all the extra features in the 2007 version
if
such a simple command can't be performed.

Do you know if I can have both 2003 and 2007 version installed together in
the same computer. Would they conflict each other ?

Thanks.

Wazza

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wazza wazza is offline

Hi Herb

I did what you told me to start Word in Safe Mode but the shortcut keys
still do not function. Can you please tell me what actually went wrong and is
this irrepairable ?

Wazza

"Wazza" wrote in message
news
Hi Herb

I thought that is the problem. However, even when I change the setting in
the language bar to be English UK/US and removing Arabic keyboard
altogether
from the Word Options do not solve the problem.

This is very annoying and I'm thinking of reverting back to Office 2003,
as
it didnt cause me any problem when I change my language setting in 2003
version. I'm willing to forego all the extra features in the 2007 version
if
such a simple command can't be performed.

Do you know if I can have both 2003 and 2007 version installed together in
the same computer. Would they conflict each other ?

Thanks.

Wazza

dinasaid dinasaid is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

I had the same problem after I installed Arabic keyboard. I solved it by going to control panel and changing the order of the language "through move up". This makes the English language the first then the Arabic. Also, I chose the English language to be the default of all input fields. This solved the problem perfectly.

Dina