Beverly

Default word safe mode

I have Office XP professional and all of a sudden Word is wanting to open in
safe mode. I uninstalled the program and reindstalled it and it still does
it. I clicked on help and there are no disabled progams. Excel and
Outlook work fine. I also clicked on repair and that didn't fix the problem.
Any suggestions?
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Make sure your temp folder is clear. See this article for details...

http://www.mousetrax.com/maintain.html

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:14:01 -0700, "Beverly"
wrote:

I have Office XP professional and all of a sudden Word is wanting to open in
safe mode. I uninstalled the program and reindstalled it and it still does
it. I clicked on help and there are no disabled progams. Excel and
Outlook work fine. I also clicked on repair and that didn't fix the problem.
Any suggestions?

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Rename the Normal.dot to Normal.old and reopen Word to get a new
Normal.dot.

Also try starting Word with the /a switch. The following two articles
will provide more info.

Normal.dot Template-Explained

Add-ins...One of Word's Most Common Problems

Good luck!

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

"Beverly" wrote:

I have Office XP professional and all of a sudden Word is wanting to open in
safe mode. I uninstalled the program and reindstalled it and it still does
it. I clicked on help and there are no disabled progams. Excel and
Outlook work fine. I also clicked on repair and that didn't fix the problem.
Any suggestions?

Beverly

Thank you Dian,
Renaming the normal.dot worked. I had 2 normal.dot files and one that said
~$normal.dot. I renamed them all.

Beverly

"Beverly" wrote:

I have Office XP professional and all of a sudden Word is wanting to open in
safe mode. I uninstalled the program and reindstalled it and it still does
it. I clicked on help and there are no disabled progams. Excel and
Outlook work fine. I also clicked on repair and that didn't fix the problem.
Any suggestions?

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

You're welcomed. But DO follow Graham's info in his post to this
thread since any file beginning with a tilde ( ~ ) is a temp
(temporary) file. Those SHOULD go away when you close the program. If
they don't...they're crashed files.

This article will also explain this info:
www.mousetrax.com/maintain.html.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine