pouldanborg

Default Organise and hide text in a paper

I want to structure my text in a text program.
I would like to have an index with headlines as hyperlinks
So when I push a headline I get the text.
I also want to make minor headlines (like the function "increase indent")
so the text will be constructed like a folders Explorer and the hided text
in an another folder and so on...

e.g. Do Word2002 have that facilities?

Poul

Ann Scharpf

You can do this by using Word's "Heading" styles and the outline view.

Heading styles can be applied to the titles (headlines) throughout your
document. Highest level is Heading 1. Its subtopics would be Heading 2
and so forth.

The Outline view is the fourth button from the left in the view selections
by your horizontal slide bar at the bottom of the screen. You can also use
the menus: View Outline.

Each heading with have a fat plus sign next to it. You can double click the
plus sign to expand/collapse the level. All text for that level and all
subheadings will be collapsed/expanded together.

Hope this helps.

"pouldanborg" wrote:

I want to structure my text in a text program.
I would like to have an index with headlines as hyperlinks
So when I push a headline I get the text.
I also want to make minor headlines (like the function "increase indent")
so the text will be constructed like a folders Explorer and the hided text
in an another folder and so on...

e.g. Do Word2002 have that facilities?

Poul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Blobdole

I am doing the same basic thing for training purposes at my company. The
only problem is, I would like it to only expand the immediate level below the
section I expand. I understand this can be done by clicking on the + and -
buttons, or by using alt+ and alt-, but this is not nearly as intuitive as
just double clicking on the topic you want to see.

Example Full Tree:

Option 1
Option a
Option 2
Option a
Option X
Option b

Example Starting Tree:

Option 1
Option 2

Desired Tree Structure After Double Clicking on Option 2:

Option 1
Option 2
Option a
Option b

Thanks for any help you can provide.

"pouldanborg" wrote:

I want to structure my text in a text program.
I would like to have an index with headlines as hyperlinks
So when I push a headline I get the text.
I also want to make minor headlines (like the function "increase indent")
so the text will be constructed like a folders Explorer and the hided text
in an another folder and so on...

e.g. Do Word2002 have that facilities?

Poul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AlexScianna

Ann,

This solution is fine if you are authoring a document but is not acceptable
for a finished document. This function should be usable in normal display
mode, and cleaned up so it doesn't change the text format, or select it when
you click on the symbol. The symbol should also be a finished looking symbol
as opposed to the outlined plus sign. I think you should be able to select
any amount of text that has any content. I.E. Text attributes, heading
styles, tables and graphs, and even
pictures.

"pouldanborg" wrote:

I want to structure my text in a text program.
I would like to have an index with headlines as hyperlinks
So when I push a headline I get the text.
I also want to make minor headlines (like the function "increase indent")
so the text will be constructed like a folders Explorer and the hided text
in an another folder and so on...

e.g. Do Word2002 have that facilities?

Poul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AlexScianna

Actually I was describing a refinement to what Word already does, as
described by Ann Scharpf, earlier. My intent was to add my vote for an
inhancement, for I believe if enough people ask for it, perhaps a seed would
be planted, that would eventually grow into something like we are looking
for.

However, to your remark about Word being designed to produce *Printed*
documents (and I understand your hedging on printed), if they were disigned
primarlly to produce *printed* documents, why the Comment function or the
collapsable header function. I contend that word documents are read on
line more often than they are printed, and an enhancement like that would
make it a more useful tool for both author and reader. And if a document
were to actually be priinted, there could be an option to print or not print
collapsed sections.

But thank you, Suzanne, for the insight on what the design philosophy is
for Word. .-)

"pouldanborg" wrote:

I want to structure my text in a text program.
I would like to have an index with headlines as hyperlinks
So when I push a headline I get the text.
I also want to make minor headlines (like the function "increase

indent")
so the text will be constructed like a folders Explorer and the hided

text
in an another folder and so on...

e.g. Do Word2002 have that facilities?

Poul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

One of the reasons for the "balloons" in Word 2002 and above was to permit
comments (and other markup) to be printed without affecting the layout of
the document. This change was made at the request of corporate customers who
use Word to create very complex printed documents (such as magazines and
newspapers). Yes, many documents are read online, but even those that are
read online during editing are overwhelmingly destined for eventual printout
in some form or other. The Outline view is intended as an aid to composition
and organization, not reading (Document Map could be viewed as the latter,
perhaps). The hyperlinked TOC is also an aid to navigation.

It is certainly true that Word is currently much more targeted to an online
world, especially Web-centric applications, but Word is a terrible HTML
editor and should not be used to create Web pages just because it can be,
and although Word can be used to create online forms, organizations that
have a need for sophisticated forms would be better advised to use InfoPath,
which is a much more powerful application for this purpose.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You are obviously expecting Word to function in a way it was never

designed
to do. Word is primarily designed to produce *printed* documents.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.