Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
silas

Default Indenting in Word...

I'm trying to create an outline type format on my document by indenting
points below my headings. However, each time I select the text to indent,
several lines of text below my selection also indent. The same thing happens
when I place my cursor in front of my text and try to indent using the
ruler. How can I indent only the text I select?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm.

Note also that for numbered outlines you should follow the
instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. For
unnumbered paragraphs between the numbered ones you could use the List
Continue series of styles in Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"silas" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to create an outline type format on my document by

indenting
points below my headings. However, each time I select the text to

indent,
several lines of text below my selection also indent. The same thing

happens
when I place my cursor in front of my text and try to indent using

the
ruler. How can I indent only the text I select?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
silas

I followed the instructions at the link:
1.. Go to Format | Style and select the style that is misbehaving (it will
already be selected if the insertion point is in a paragraph in that style).
2.. Press the Modify button. The display will be similar to the Modify
Style dialog above.
3.. In the Modify Style dialog, clear the check box for “Automatically
update.”
4.. Check the box for “Add to template.”
....but it's not helping- when I indent my highlighted text, the next,
unhighlighted line continues to indent. Ctrl-Z, unindents everything.

silas

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm.

Note also that for numbered outlines you should follow the
instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. For
unnumbered paragraphs between the numbered ones you could use the List
Continue series of styles in Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"silas" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to create an outline type format on my document by

indenting
points below my headings. However, each time I select the text to

indent,
several lines of text below my selection also indent. The same thing

happens
when I place my cursor in front of my text and try to indent using

the
ruler. How can I indent only the text I select?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom

The points below your headings, are these bulleted or numbered
paragraphs? If so, indenting one of them would indent all items
belonging to the same list. Again, setting this up as an
outline-numbered list (which can include bullets as well as numbers)
is the way to go.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"silas" wrote in message
news
[...]

"silas" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to create an outline type format on my document by

indenting
points below my headings. However, each time I select the text to

indent,
several lines of text below my selection also indent. The same

thing
happens
when I place my cursor in front of my text and try to indent

using
the
ruler. How can I indent only the text I select?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
silas

Sorry, I failed to mention that there are no bulleted or numbered
paragraphs. The text is in normal paragraph format.

silas

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
The points below your headings, are these bulleted or numbered
paragraphs? If so, indenting one of them would indent all items
belonging to the same list. Again, setting this up as an
outline-numbered list (which can include bullets as well as numbers)
is the way to go.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"silas" wrote in message
news
[...]

"silas" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to create an outline type format on my document by
indenting
points below my headings. However, each time I select the text to
indent,
several lines of text below my selection also indent. The same

thing
happens
when I place my cursor in front of my text and try to indent

using
the
ruler. How can I indent only the text I select?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom

How are you creating new lines of text? Are you pressing Enter or
Shift+Enter? Note that only Enter creates a new paragraph in Word.
Shift+Enter just inserts a line break, and the lines within a
paragraph will have the same paragraph style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"silas" wrote in message
Sorry, I failed to mention that there are no bulleted or numbered
paragraphs. The text is in normal paragraph format.

silas

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
The points below your headings, are these bulleted or numbered
paragraphs? If so, indenting one of them would indent all items
belonging to the same list. Again, setting this up as an
outline-numbered list (which can include bullets as well as

numbers)
is the way to go.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"silas" wrote in message
news
[...]

"silas" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to create an outline type format on my document by
indenting
points below my headings. However, each time I select the text

indent,
several lines of text below my selection also indent. The same

thing
happens
when I place my cursor in front of my text and try to indent

using
the
ruler. How can I indent only the text I select?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

EnergyKey