Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
excel novice

Default Trouble with closing documents

When ever i open a file in Word there is a second file generated in same
folder Starting ~$filename. When i close the file this second file is moved
to recycle bin slowly filling it up. How do i stop this action?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

You can't. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632
"Description of how Word creates temporary files" for more
information.

excel novice wrote:
When ever i open a file in Word there is a second file generated in same
folder Starting ~$filename. When i close the file this second file is moved
to recycle bin slowly filling it up. How do i stop this action?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LC Killingbeck

?B?ZXhjZWwgbm92aWNl?=
wrote in :

When ever i open a file in Word there is a second file generated in
same folder Starting ~$filename. When i close the file this second
file is moved to recycle bin slowly filling it up. How do i stop this
action?

Note that you can control the recycle bin, though. Right-click on the
icon on the desktop, select Properties, and see if any option there
suits your way of working. I usually just disable the recycle-bin -
and have been sorry a couple of times. Or, adjust the size as a
percentage of the total disk space.

Note that the recycle bin is self-regulating in size. If the file
being deleted would make the total exceed the allowed size, enough
older files will first be deleted to make room. So, your "slowly
filling it up" is perfectly normal, and acting as intended.

If you are bothered by the temporary files flushing out more
desirable files (e.g., those you manually deleted), that can not
be controlled, however, as already noted in another response.

Lynn Killingbeck
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
excel novice

Thanks for the Info site Garfield. But what i really would like to know is
how to stop the temp file from being sent to the recycle bin. I understand it
creates the temp file, but when i had Word 97 it just deleted it not sent it
to recycle bin.

excel novice wrote:
When ever i open a file in Word there is a second file generated in same
folder Starting ~$filename. When i close the file this second file is moved
to recycle bin slowly filling it up. How do i stop this action?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

Ordinarily, Word simply deletes its own temp files and does not
send them to the Recycle Bin. If you have Norton System Tools
and have enabled the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, then that
feature could cause your Word temp files to be added to the
Recycle Bin. See
http://service1.symantec.com/support...= bar_sch_nam
"Disabling the Norton Protected Recycle Bin".

excel novice wrote:

When ever i open a file in Word there is a second file generated in same
folder Starting ~$filename. When i close the file this second file is moved
to recycle bin slowly filling it up. How do i stop this action?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
excel novice

Thanks again Garfield for you input. You were on the right track. I have
found out what was doing it.
I have connected to my comp an external hard drive that i use for
autobackups using Viceversa that backs up my documents folder as soon as
changes are made, but it was not this doing it. Windows automatically put a
shortcut to recycle bin on this drive and as the documents i use are stored
in my documents folder when word creates the temp folder in same directory as
file when it deletes it it can only delete one copy and puts the second copy
on external drive in recycle bin.
I found solution was to set recycle bin to manage each drive seperately and
tick the delete without sending to recycle bin for the external drive. I also
deleted the shortcut to recycle bin on external drive which does not seem to
reappear when reboot comp.
This has now resolved the problem and temp file now just deletes without
filling up recycle bin.

Again thanks for all your help and hope this info is useful to others. I
don't know how to publish this topic for all to find on this site but if you
do can you do it for me.
Thanks again

excel novice wrote:

When ever i open a file in Word there is a second file generated in same
folder Starting ~$filename. When i close the file this second file is moved
to recycle bin slowly filling it up. How do i stop this action?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
excel novice

Thanks again your input.
[...]

"LC Killingbeck" wrote: