Widmer

Default Storing non-standard fonts in a template

Hi,

I developed a template which uses a non-standard font in the footer text. It
looks fine on my developer machine (the font is installed locally), but
after deploying the template to the network, the font appears different on
the screens of other computers.
Somewhere in a Word dialog menu, I saw an option like "store fonts together
with template" but I can't find it anymore.

Anyone know where this option could be?

Widmer

I developed a template which uses a non-standard font in the footer text.
It
looks fine on my developer machine (the font is installed locally), but
after deploying the template to the network, the font appears different on
the screens of other computers.
Somewhere in a Word dialog menu, I saw an option like "store fonts

together
with template" but I can't find it anymore.

I just found it - Tools - Options - Save - "embed true type fonts"
I checked this option, saved and re-deployed the template to the "user
templates" folder on the network server. However, the font still looks goofy
on other machines...
I'm still wondering how to get this to work.

Widmer

Not all fonts are embeddable. The font file can be encoded with copyright
data which prevents the embedding.

Thanks, Jezebel. After installing "Open Type Font Shell Extensions" I was
able to see that my font has only "Preview and Print" embedding enabled. I
guess what I need is "Installable embedding allowed".

I started looking around for other vendors of this font but noone seems to
indicate what level of embedding permission the font comes with. Am I
missing something here or is there a better way to find out before actually
buying and installing the font?

Jezebel

My own experience with fonts on network setups is that it's not worth
trying. Commerical fonts count as software, so buying the font doesn't
normally give a licence to distribute them anyway, embedded or otherwise.
And in any case, the support issues are just not worth the trouble. Lousy
though the built-in fonts are, most people don't notice the difference.