Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

Default Office Standard 2007 Military Appreciation edition

This posting is directed to anyone using Office Standard 2007 MAE, or to
anyone using Office Standard 2003 MAE.

I recently learned that MS offers an Office Standard 2007 Military
Appreciation Edition (MAE), at a substantial discount over OS 2007 (The suite
was a recently advertised item at my local U.S. Navy Exchange.) As a vet, I
qualify for MEA. The MEA suite is a complete OS 2007 suite, however, I am
concerned about the EULA.
It prohibits the use of the suite for commercial, government, or non-profit
usages.

Aside from the personal joy that I receive from having genuine MS installed
on my home cpu, I also need to bring work home from the office, or I need to
initiate work related documents (commercial proposals, etc.) from home.

My questions are-
If I install MAE, will I encounter compatability issues with a corporate
licensed edition?
Will a home created document become corrupted at the office, or vice-versa?
Will the creation of a corporate document on my home PC, place my company
into a potentially illegal positon?

If this occurs, or if I open my company to litigation for violating the EULA
then the suite is not a bargain.

Any comments would be appreciated.

--
Tom Conrad
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Really good question, Tom, but don't hold your breath waiting for an answer
here because licensing issues are notoriously complex, and most people are
loath to give advice that really needs to come from Microsoft. The problem,
of course, is that you can call Microsoft repeatedly and probably get a
different answer every time. Still, I think that's going to be the best
thing for you to do.

Thank you for bringing the existence of this edition to our attention,
though; I'm pleased that MS is appreciating our military!

"Tom Conrad" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Tom

"Will the creation of a corporate document on my home PC, place my company
into a potentially illegal position?"

I was not aware of a MAE version but my guess is that the EULA will be very
similar to the offer for other users who use a corporate licenced version of
Office at work. If someone works at a company that uses a corporate licenced
version of Office, they can purchase a similar version for use at home (at a
cost of around $50 I see to remember) WHILST they work for that company. The
restrictions are similar in that you can use it for the company's work or
private use but not for commercial gain of your own. And if you leave the
company, the licence is revoked and the software should be uninstalled.

So strictly interpreting the EULA, you must not use it for any work that is
associated with your company.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP