Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Searching for a word or phase across multiple unopened documents

In Office Word 2007, on a Windows Vista Business platform, how does one go
about searching for a particular word or a phase across multiple unopened
Word documents? E.g. Say Im searching for all Word documents created in a
folder that contain the phrase €śCondition Inspection Report€ť in the body of
the text. I used to be able to do this in Office 2000, but cant figure out
how to accomplish the same task in Office 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I'd do the search in Windows Explorer, not within Word.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Wayne" wrote in message
In Office Word 2007, on a Windows Vista Business platform, how does one go
about searching for a particular word or a phase across multiple unopened
Word documents? E.g. Say Im searching for all Word documents created in
folder that contain the phrase €śCondition Inspection Report€ť in the body
of
the text. I used to be able to do this in Office 2000, but cant figure
out
how to accomplish the same task in Office 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

....and if you're using Word 2007 in Vista, you can do this from within any
of the file dialog boxes (using the Search box), since the file dialogs use
Windows Explorer as their engine.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Wayne" wrote in message
In Office Word 2007, on a Windows Vista Business platform, how does one
go
about searching for a particular word or a phase across multiple unopened
Word documents? E.g. Say Im searching for all Word documents created in
folder that contain the phrase €śCondition Inspection Report€ť in the body
of
the text. I used to be able to do this in Office 2000, but cant figure
out
how to accomplish the same task in Office 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Ooh - that's a good thing to know! Thank you Herb. I have so much to learn
about Office 2007. ;-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Wayne" wrote in message
In Office Word 2007, on a Windows Vista Business platform, how does one
go
about searching for a particular word or a phase across multiple
unopened
Word documents? E.g. Say I'm searching for all Word documents created
in a
folder that contain the phrase "Condition Inspection Report" in the body
of
the text. I used to be able to do this in Office 2000, but can't figure
out
how to accomplish the same task in Office 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi JoAnn -

Just so you're not disappointed if you're still running WinXP: Note that
Herb specifically indicated *in Vista*:-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/27/07 8:16 AM, in article ,
"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Ooh - that's a good thing to know! Thank you Herb. I have so much to learn
about Office 2007. ;-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Nope. The systems we have at home running 2007 are also running Vista. My XP
system still has 2003. ;-)

(Thanks for the head up tho. It's always nice when a fellow MVP cares.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

.. .

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Ooh - that's a good thing to know! Thank you Herb. I have so much to
learn
about Office 2007. ;-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
degas1900 degas1900 is offline

Install Copernic Desktop Search (free). Gazillion times faster than
Explorer, and you can limit your search to a specific type of document (DOC,
PDF, JPG, WP, etc.). To search for a phrase, put it in quotations.

"Wayne" wrote:

In Office Word 2007, on a Windows Vista Business platform, how does one go
about searching for a particular word or a phase across multiple unopened
Word documents? E.g. Say Im searching for all Word documents created in a
folder that contain the phrase €śCondition Inspection Report€ť in the body of
the text. I used to be able to do this in Office 2000, but cant figure out
how to accomplish the same task in Office 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles W Davis Charles W Davis is offline

If you have allowed the Windows Vista indexing to complete, there is no need
for a third party desktop search. I moved 80 GB of files to my Windows Vista
computer. It took almost a week to complete the indexing. Now as I type
something that I am searching for, I can't type fast enough.

"Wayne" wrote:

In Office Word 2007, on a Windows Vista Business platform, how does one
go
about searching for a particular word or a phase across multiple unopened
Word documents? E.g. Say Im searching for all Word documents created in
folder that contain the phrase €śCondition Inspection Report€ť in the body
of
the text. I used to be able to do this in Office 2000, but cant figure
out
how to accomplish the same task in Office 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

A week! I thought 48 hours was long enough when I copied over my music
folder. But as you say, once indexed, it is blisteringly fast to find a
track: and so simple too. Just press Start and type the first few characters
of the track name and there it is.

Terry Farrell