Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nathan Hopper Nathan Hopper is offline

Default .doc files not asssociated with Word 2007

After I upgraded to Office 2007, when I try to open a .doc file by clicking
that particular file, or from an email attachment, it is not recognized as a
word file. When I click on the file directly, it brings up a window to
assign a program for that file and the only option it lists is notepad. When
I click on an email attachment it says " Application Not Found". However if
I open word first, then use FileOpen, I can open the file fine. How do I
get Word to automatically open the file or email attachments?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

From Start, Run, type in

winword /r

to make sure that Word is correctly registered in Windows. If the documents
still don't open, then it suggests a third party add-in or AntiVirus is
preventing the correct action. If you have Kapersky, go to their support
site and download the fix.

If you don't have Kapersky, then it may be a bad thirds party legacy add-in
causing this. You will need to ID and remove or update the add-in.

See how to find add-ins

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...sInstalled.htm

Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Nathan Hopper" Nathan wrote in message
After I upgraded to Office 2007, when I try to open a .doc file by
clicking
that particular file, or from an email attachment, it is not recognized as
word file. When I click on the file directly, it brings up a window to
assign a program for that file and the only option it lists is notepad.
When
I click on an email attachment it says " Application Not Found". However
if
I open word first, then use FileOpen, I can open the file fine. How do I
get Word to automatically open the file or email attachments?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Nathan Hopper" wrote in message
I am running windows Vista, where do I find word?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\winword.exe

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nathan Hopper[_2_] Nathan Hopper[_2_] is offline

I use windows live one care

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

And Kapersky AV?

Terry

"Nathan Hopper" wrote in message
Tried this, still not working. When I checked for add-ons, none were
listed

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

From Start, Run, type in

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nathan Hopper[_2_] Nathan Hopper[_2_] is offline

also the version of office I am using is Office Ultimate 2007 Academic

"Nathan Hopper" wrote:

I use windows live one care

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

And Kapersky AV?

Terry

"Nathan Hopper" wrote in message
Tried this, still not working. When I checked for add-ons, none were
listed

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

From Start, Run, type in

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It has to be AV or an incompatible add-in. I don't know of any other reason
for double-clicking not to work correctly. NAV is another AV that causes the
same bug: just disable the Office Plug-in in NAV.

Terry

"Nathan Hopper" wrote in message
also the version of office I am using is Office Ultimate 2007 Academic

"Nathan Hopper" wrote:

I use windows live one care

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

And Kapersky AV?

Terry

"Nathan Hopper" wrote in
message
Tried this, still not working. When I checked for add-ons, none were
listed

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

From Start, Run, type in

[...]

.plt files into Word 2007 jeric2_us Microsoft Word Help 0 November 18th 08 04:24 PM
convert Word 97 files to Word 2007 files TCVA Microsoft Word Help 1 July 20th 08 11:04 PM
How can I convert a batch of .wpd files to Word 2007 files? SPW New Users 3 July 15th 08 05:10 AM
Old doc-files in Word 2007 Gert Microsoft Word Help 15 June 17th 08 07:51 PM
Why doesn't Word 2007 insert scanned TIF files, or DOCX files? Emdub Microsoft Word Help 0 July 17th 07 04:38 PM