Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tina Tina is offline

Default how do i create a link to a folder in a word document

I have a word document in which I want to insert a link to a shortcut folder
in a drive as opposed to inserting a link to a file.

The folder contains several files. I want the reader of the word document to
be able to copy this folder shortcut to their desktop.

Can you please help with this query?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Tina

Tina wrote:
I have a word document in which I want to insert a link to a shortcut folder
in a drive as opposed to inserting a link to a file.

The folder contains several files. I want the reader of the word document to
be able to copy this folder shortcut to their desktop.

Surprisingly, when I drag/drop an existing folder shortcut from my
Desktop into a document, Word 2000 creates some kind of object -- and
double clicking it really brings up and Explorer window of the desired
folder (after a macro warning message).

I would not want, however, to test this out with the multitude of
versions/SPs/SRs of Word and OS there are, and would expect this
approach to fail more often than not (at least when it should work
cross-platform).

Does this folder point to a file server? Are you planning this for an
unknown user group, or for folks in a clearly defined (server)
environment? If the latter, you could tell your admin to adjust the
users' desktop and place the folder there directly.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS