John Barnes

Default Files turn to zero-bytes

Using Office 2003, Win XP SP2. Tried to open files in Word and each one I
opened turned into a zero-byte file with no characters. Word erased most
files in a directory that way.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?
garfield-n-odie

One possible reason for the file size changing to 0 bytes is the
ExploreZip worm... see
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...plore.zip.html .

John Barnes wrote:

Using Office 2003, Win XP SP2. Tried to open files in Word and each one I
opened turned into a zero-byte file with no characters. Word erased most
files in a directory that way.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

John Barnes

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the fix and ran it 2x, didn't find
worm.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

John Barnes wrote:

Using Office 2003, Win XP SP2. Tried to open files in Word and each one I
opened turned into a zero-byte file with no characters. Word erased most
files in a directory that way.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

garfield-n-odie

Are the files on a local hard drive, a network share, or a floppy
disk? If it's a network share, the problem could be
network-related, such as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=138014 (this particular
article doesn't apply to WinXP though). If it's a floppy disk,
then you shouldn't be opening Word files directly from a floppy,
because doing so will probably corrupt the files or the floppy.
Instead, copy the files to your hard drive and open the copies on
the HD.

John Barnes wrote:

Using Office 2003, Win XP SP2. Tried to open files in Word and each one I
opened turned into a zero-byte file with no characters. Word erased most
files in a directory that way.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

garfield-n-odie

I honestly don't know what's going on, but you're the second
person to report this in as many days. This was a common
question a few years ago when the ExploreZip worm was released.
All of the antivirus programs recognize this worm now, so it
hasn't been a problem in more recent times.

John Barnes wrote:

Using Office 2003, Win XP SP2. Tried to open files in Word and each one I
opened turned into a zero-byte file with no characters. Word erased most
files in a directory that way.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

How do I open multiple Word 2003 files to display on dual monitors mally Microsoft Word Help 6 July 4th 05 11:00 AM
How do I convert MS Word Office 2000 files to PDF files? alfa Microsoft Word Help 4 June 21st 05 08:33 AM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
RECOVER Temp FILES from CD-RW Kimla Microsoft Word Help 0 December 6th 04 02:59 PM
Turn off screen tips about size and type of files in open window slcamero Microsoft Word Help 1 November 24th 04 07:55 PM