Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeeW DeeW is offline

Default Word 2000 - Outline Numbering

I have a document that needs to numbered as follows:

Chapter I. (Level 1)
A. (Level 2)
1.1. (Level 3)
1. (Level 4)
a. (Level 5)
i. (Level 6)
(a) (Level 7)
(i) (Level 8)
(1) (Level 9)

The numbering should restart after the highest level, except for Level 3
(1.1.). For example, Level 4 would restart numbering after Level 2. I have
created styles (e.g., My Style Heading 1, etc.) to apply this numbering
scheme. Each style is based on Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.

The problem I have is that numbering for Levels 5 and 6 are not continuous,
but restart numbering after the highest level. I uncheck 'restart numbering
after Level x', the level numbering will be continuous throughout the
document.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeeW DeeW is offline

I'm sorry but I don't think I explained this problem correctly. The levels 2
through 9 are set to restart as follows:

Chapter I. (Level 1)
A. (Level 2) - after Level 1
1.1. (Level 3) - after Level 1
1. (Level 4) - after Level 2
a. (Level 5) - after Level 4
i. (Level 6) - after Level 5
(a) (Level 7) - after Level 6
(i) (Level 8) - after Level 7
(1) (Level 9) - after level 8

After Level 4 the numbering will not automatically restart. This is the
outline I receive:

Chapter 1. - (Level 1)
A. - (Level 2)
1.1. - (Level 3)
B.- (Level 2)
1.2.- (Level 3)
1.- (Level 4)
2.- (Level 4)
a.- (Level 5)
3.- (Level 4)
a. - (Level 5 -this should b.)
4.- (Level 4)
i.- (Level 6)
i. - (Level 4 - this should ii.)

"DeeW" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeeW DeeW is offline

Additional information - The restart issue occurs if I have:

Level 4
Level 5
Level 3
Level 4 (this number should not restart...it is set to restart after Level
2, not Level 3).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

"DeeW" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

a.- (Level 5)
3.- (Level 4)
a. - (Level 5 -this should b.)

Level 5 is set to restart after Level 4, and this is what it's doing. If you
want the a to be b, then you want it *not* to restart.

i.- (Level 6)
i. - (Level 4 - this should ii.)

Level 4 appears to have 1, 2, 3 numbering, so I would expect 5 here.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Generally speaking, if you set the numbering at any level to restart

after
the next higher level, it will also restart after *any* higher level.

Does
that help?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.