Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AdamBC AdamBC is offline

Default Where is the DOCUMENT close button in Word 2007

Unless I'm missing something, the only way I can see to close a document is
to select close on the drop down menu from the Office button - and there's no
button to add to the Ribbon - I'm sure that there was a close button (X) at
document level in previous versions? - this is a backwards step!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

The Close document button is not there in 2007 by default but you have great
flexibility in how you close documents.

You can change Word's default behavior and display it:
1. Click the Office Button to display the Office menu
2. Click Word Options to display the Word Options dialog box and click
Advanced to display the Advanced options
3. Under Display, clear the Show all windows in the taskbar check box
4. This will also provide a second Close button for closing the document,
below the one that closes Word but will only show the active document in the
taskbar.

You can also add the Close button to the Quick Access toolbar:
1. Click the Office Button to display the Office menu
2. Click Word Options to display the Word Options dialog box and click
Customize to display the customization options
3. In the Choose commands from drop-down list box, select Office Menu
4. Select Close and click Add and click OK
Only the active document will be closed; Word will not.

You can easily close a single document without closing Word by pressing
CTRL+F4 or CTRL+W.

If 2 or more documents are open, you can easily close the active document by
double clicking the Microsoft Office Button; if only one document is open,
this also closes Word.