Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nods Nods is offline

Default Problem with Quote/Speechmarks Key

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with an English/Arabic keypad. When I type
the quote - which sits two keys along from L - I should be able to get double
quotes if I press the shift key, or a single quote if I press the key on its
own. There is also an Arabic option - not sure what letter but I don't use
that.

Instead, what happens is that when I press shift with the quote key, they
appear twice, so I always have to go back and delete one of the quote
symbols. Extremely annoying. The same happens with the single quote
symbols. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What keyboard is activated in Windows? Maybe instead of US English or
UK English, you're using one that uses the apostrophe key as a dead
key for triggering accents or (Arabic) vowel pointing, or some such.

Not a Word question, though.

On May 14, 8:15*am, Nods wrote:
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with an English/Arabic keypad. *When I type
the quote - which sits two keys along from L - I should be able to get double
quotes if I press the shift key, or a single quote if I press the key on its
own. *There is also an Arabic option - not sure what letter but I don't use
that. *

Instead, what happens is that when I press shift with the quote key, they
appear twice, so I always have to go back and delete one of the quote
symbols. *Extremely annoying. *The same happens with the single quote
symbols. *Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

what is a direct quote Kenneth Microsoft Word Help 1 January 23rd 07 01:46 AM
setting a low quote ahead of a word and a high quote at the end Margret Microsoft Word Help 3 October 24th 06 09:59 PM
Quote form Lee Page Layout 2 May 2nd 06 08:22 PM
Quote marks ChuckH Mailmerge 1 March 10th 05 11:14 AM
the quote key howowow Microsoft Word Help 1 December 20th 04 04:53 PM