Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dderolph dderolph is offline

Default Moved Task Pane, now can't get it docked back in normal position

I can't figure out how to get the Task Pane back to it's standard
position in Word 2003. I had never moved it out of it's normal
position until recently, when I read about moving it in a book on MS
Office. But, the book didn't say exactly how to get it back to normal
position.

I would think it would resume it's standard docking position if I move
it to the right place, but I tried and tried moving it around and I
can't get it back to normal.

Here's a screen print to show you what I have now:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ums/Word-1.jpg

--
dderolph
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BoniM BoniM is offline

drag it all the way to the right... it will look like you're dragging off the
screen, but when your mouse pointer hits the right edge, you'll see the task
pane pop back to the docked position.

"dderolph" wrote:

I can't figure out how to get the Task Pane back to it's standard
position in Word 2003. I had never moved it out of it's normal
position until recently, when I read about moving it in a book on MS
Office. But, the book didn't say exactly how to get it back to normal
position.

I would think it would resume it's standard docking position if I move
it to the right place, but I tried and tried moving it around and I
can't get it back to normal.

Here's a screen print to show you what I have now:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ums/Word-1.jpg

--
dderolph

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I mentioned, you have to be careful not to drag it too close to the top
of the screen. It takes practice, and every time I try to do it (to prove to
myself that it's still possible), I become very frustrated, but if you keep
trying, sooner or later you'll hit the "sweet spot."

"dderolph" wrote in message

Thanks for the replies. I'm still having trouble with this. I can get
it to dock on the left side, as shown at
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...rums/Word1.jpg. But,
when I try to dock it on the right side, it does dock but it spreads
horizontally across the entire Word window, as shown at
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...rums/Word2.jpg.

--
dderolph

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi dderolph,

To make it a bit easier, (assuming that the add-in you're running doesn't interfere), set Word to full screen from the icon in the
top right then grab the bottom right corner of the task pane and move it up and left to make the task pane smaller, then push it
into the side of the screen to see if it sticks.

==============
"dderolph" wrote in message ...

Thanks for the replies. I'm still having trouble with this. I can get
it to dock on the left side, as shown at
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...rums/Word1.jpg. But,
when I try to dock it on the right side, it does dock but it spreads
horizontally across the entire Word window, as shown at
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...rums/Word2.jpg.

dderolph
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dderolph[_3_] dderolph[_3_] is offline

Well, I finally got it back to normal, after tremendous frustration. I
think Microsoft dropped the ball here. This should not be so
difficult. Toolbars can usually be docked, undocked, then re-docked
without major difficulty. But, the Task Pane being so difficult is
absurd. I even tried renaming normal.dot and letting Word create a new
normal.dot to see whether that would restore the Task Pane to it's
normal state. It did not.

I intend to never move Task Pane again. I had never moved it before
this incident. The only reason I moved it in this instance was that I
read in a book on MS Office that said the Task Pane could be moved.
So, I thought I'd try it. Big mistake!

--
dderolph

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi dderolph,

You're right, it shouldnt' be that hard, and if my memory worked better, it wouldn't have been quite so. When the Task Pane is
'loose' on the top left hand corner is a line of four vertical indentations. If you hover over those indentations (or above the
Title of the taskbar) you should get the four headed movement cursor. When you do, double click and the Task Pane should redock
itself.

(In Word 2007, which no longer has the indentations or a dropdown list of taskbars contained in the Task Pane, just point at the top
of the Task Pane and double click on the title).

=============
"dderolph" wrote in message ...

Well, I finally got it back to normal, after tremendous frustration. I
think Microsoft dropped the ball here. This should not be so
difficult. Toolbars can usually be docked, undocked, then re-docked
without major difficulty. But, the Task Pane being so difficult is
absurd. I even tried renaming normal.dot and letting Word create a new
normal.dot to see whether that would restore the Task Pane to it's
normal state. It did not.

I intend to never move Task Pane again. I had never moved it before
this incident. The only reason I moved it in this instance was that I
read in a book on MS Office that said the Task Pane could be moved.
So, I thought I'd try it. Big mistake!
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP