Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sisyphus Sisyphus is offline

Default Style for table in long document

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Edit the Caption style, this will change the Label as well as the text
entered for the Caption itself.
Sometimes this style is not shown on the Styles and Formatting listing, just
select All Styles in the Show: box at the bottom of the pane and select
Caption style to be viewed.
If you have already formatted the text by manual formatting (ie
mouse-selecting and make the changes) these will need to be removed. Select
the text and press Ctrl+Spacebar to clear all manual formatting.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Sorry, forgot to mention that the list square dot to the left is probably
indicating that the style has "Keep with Next" or "Keep Lines Together"
paragraph attribute assigned. This is a good thing.
--
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sisyphus Sisyphus is offline

HI DeanH, Thanks for this. I wasn't quite sure where to find the Show: box,
in order to get caption styles I think I have to go back to the main menu and
go to Insert and References...captions. Anyway, fiddling with it I do seem to
have changed the font to what I want, I don't know how I did it. However, I
did the same with the Figure... style, and I am still foxed because I want to
create a Table of Contents for my Figures, but when I go to do that, and go
Insert, references, Indexes and Tables, I click the table of Figures tab, and
create, but it does not seem to recognise that my Figures title style is
actually a Figure title. It won't create the TOC for me. How do I make the
program recognise my "Figure title" style as a Figure title for the purposes
of the TOC? For the main TOC, it seems to automatically recognise the Heading
styles as headings.
Many thanks for any help!

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

The "show" is at the bottom of the Styles & Formatting pane, either click the
Double A icon next to the Styles box on the Formatting toolbar, or Edit, Task
Panes, the down arrow on the top bar, select Styles & Formatting.
The Table of Figures is looking for the Label "Figure" which is
automatically created when you Insert, Caption, Figure. When you create the
TOF, it asks which Label you are wanting, Table or Figure or Equation, etc.
If you have created a new style for your Figure captions, which is no longer
the built in Caption Style, then you can create a TOF based on your new
style. Insert Index&Tables, TOF, Caption Label - none, Options, check Style
and select the new style.
--
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sisyphus Sisyphus is offline

Hi DeanH,
Thak you for all your help. I am getting closer, I think, although I still
don't understand what I am doing, unfortunately. I have managed to create a
table of figures using some of the methodology you described: I clicked Index
and Tables, TOF, Options, set this to FIgure title (the name of the
style)then back on the main TOF tab, set the caption label to (none), and had
the 'include label and number' box checked. This gave me a TFO, but included
also the whole caption to the Figure as well as "Figure 1" etc. Any idea how
I can get it to exclude the rest of the text, and just have "Figure 1.....1,
FIgure 2........3, Figure 3........16" etc.? Sorry I tried doing some screen
grab and attaching it here to show you what I am doing but it won't allow me
to paste from my Printkey program.
Many thanks for getting me this far anyway!

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

So all you want to show is "Figure 1 .... 6".
As you have found this cannot be done by using the controls in the Index &
Figures dialog. And also I have not found a switch that will produce this
result.
There is another way and that is by using different styles on the same line,
ie the Caption. If you assign a different style, named something different
but with the same attributes to your "caption" style, then you may get the
effect you want.
See the following articles, they discuss Table of Contents but this is the
same as the Table of Figures.
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm for the Hidden
Paragraph Mark method and the Style Separator method.
I have used the Style Separator in the past and have included the icon onto
my toolbar. to insert the Style Separator press Alt+Ctrl+Return or
InsertStyleSeparator icon in the Commands listing.
All the best
DeanH

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sisyphus Sisyphus is offline

Hi DeanH,
Thank you so much for this, I will try it out, although I am afraid of
spending too much time on this issue, which should be so straightforward (why
don't the WORD people just make it a straightforward process, instead of so
complicated??). I have found a way around my problem for the present, I hope,
by just going in and editing out the text that appears after "Figure 1", and
replacing it with ..........
This seems to work, although it is of course not as streamlined as getting
it right through the system. Hopefuly it will not revert to what used to be
there after I close and open the doc again!
Thanks so much for your help, you are so kind.

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

I have never unlabelled my Figures and/or Tables in any document, as well as
removing the caption text as well, as I see the resulting Tables as of no
real use i.e. "1. ... 6" - what does that tell the reader? ;-)
If you manually edit the TOF, it will refresh back to the previous state,
possibly at printing, opening of the file, I would do some tests and check
that all stays as you want it to.
As you say, you may have already spent too much time on this particular
exercise and time to move on.
All the best to you
DeanH

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sisyphus Sisyphus is offline

Hi Dean, thanks for this - no, I didn't mean to edit out the "Figure" but
the text that appers with it, e.g. "Figure 1. Scene from Act 1 of play....3",
I deleted "scene from act 1 of play". But as you say, aaugh, this will
probably revert back to having the text in it after I close and open the doc
again! Anyway, as you say, all the best to you too.

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

An after thought, once you have the TOF complete and the document will change
- ever - you can then copy the TOF and paste as unformatted text, then
reformat to TOF styles and alignment, that way nothing will change.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Sisyphus" wrote:

Hi. I am using a template that has a style defined for tables in a long
document. The style is handy in that it enters "Table 1." and then styles the
captio of the table according to what you insert. The table numbers
automatically sequence, which is great for a long doc. My trouble is that I
want to change the font that the initial "Table 1" text appears in, but when
I go to modify the style it only lets me modify the caption that goes with
the table, not the actula "Table 1" at the start. This appears to be some
kind of field or something, and has a square dot tot he left of it in the
margin. How can I modify this item in the style?
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Wouldn't it be simpler just ot edit it as required, then unlink it? That way
the TOC styles remain intact.

http://word.mvps.org