Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Change outline numbering, hanging indent not updated

I followed http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
to define an outline numbering scheme. For each additional outline
level, I added 0.12" of extra indentation for the text of the
heading. The tabstop settings are properly updated in each Heading
style, but the hanging indents is not. I manually modified the
hanging indents to match the tab settings. Is there a more
intelligent way to have the hanging indents update automagically?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you apply outline numbering to paragraph styles, the indents and tabs
must be set in the Numbering dialog, not in the Paragraph dialog.

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote in message
I followed http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
to define an outline numbering scheme. For each additional outline
level, I added 0.12" of extra indentation for the text of the
heading. The tabstop settings are properly updated in each Heading
style, but the hanging indents is not. I manually modified the
hanging indents to match the tab settings. Is there a more
intelligent way to have the hanging indents update automagically?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

I did that. I chose a Heading 1 paragraph, modified the style, and
from there, chose to Format-Numbering. In the Bullets and Numbering
panel, I chose the Outline Numbered tab, and as per the website, did
not choose a different pattern from the one that was already
selected. I chose the Customize the selected pattern, which yielded a
Customize Outline Numbered List dialogue box. I made sure the More
details were shown, and...oh, wait a minute. I missed Shauna Kelly's
section 2.4, specifically field#3. That might solve it. Thanks for
prompting me to take a 2nd look.

"Paul" wrote:
I followedhttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
to define an outline numbering scheme. *For each additional outline
level, I added 0.12" of extra indentation for the text of the
heading. *The tabstop settings are properly updated in each Heading
style, but the hanging indents is not. *I manually modified the
hanging indents to match the tab settings. *Is there a more
intelligent way to have the hanging indents update automagically?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that if you were using Word2007, you'd have to have the cursor in
the _first_ Heading 1 paragraph. (But since you have "Format
Numbering," you're not. In 2007 it would be "Home" ( Paragraph)
Numbering.")

"Paul" wrote:
I followedhttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
to define an outline numbering scheme. *For each additional outline
level, I added 0.12" of extra indentation for the text of the
heading. *The tabstop settings are properly updated in each Heading
style, but the hanging indents is not. *I manually modified the
hanging indents to match the tab settings. *Is there a more
intelligent way to have the hanging indents update automagically?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed, it pays to take a second (and a third) look at that article. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote:
I followedhttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
to define an outline numbering scheme. For each additional outline
level, I added 0.12" of extra indentation for the text of the
heading. The tabstop settings are properly updated in each Heading
style, but the hanging indents is not. I manually modified the
hanging indents to match the tab settings. Is there a more
intelligent way to have the hanging indents update automagically?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Agreed. I can't count the number of hours I spent trying to make
those configuration switches work. Trying to reverse engineer how
they work from trial and error hasn't worked for me.

On Apr 22, 10:59*am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Indeed, it pays to take a second (and a third) look at that article. :-)

"Paul" wrote

"Paul" wrote:
I followedhttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
to define an outline numbering scheme. For each additional outline
level, I added 0.12" of extra indentation for the text of the
heading. The tabstop settings are properly updated in each Heading
style, but the hanging indents is not. I manually modified the
hanging indents to match the tab settings. Is there a more
intelligent way to have the hanging indents update automagically?

MartinWord MartinWord is offline
Junior Member

I have the same problem as mentioned above. I have tried following Shauna Kelly's directions to the letter.

However, Word will not perform the hanging indent. It is ignored no matter how large it is set to be.

Using one of the standards, in "outline numbered", is no different. The standard hanging indents are ignored.

The PC is owned and set up by my employer and has XP and Office 2003.

Could someone please let me know what solved the problem, in details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

"Paul" wrote:
I followedhttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
to define an outline numbering scheme. For each additional outline
level, I added 0.12" of extra indentation for the text of the
heading. The tabstop settings are properly updated in each Heading
style, but the hanging indents is not. I manually modified the
hanging indents to match the tab settings. Is there a more
intelligent way to have the hanging indents update automagically?

Numbering - Left indent and hanging indent separate limedragon Microsoft Word Help 7 December 16th 09 07:15 PM
hanging indent Cindy Microsoft Word Help 1 February 26th 09 10:15 AM
Hanging indent Ed Mullikin New Users 2 December 5th 07 10:20 AM
Hanging indent Neil Microsoft Word Help 2 January 13th 06 12:47 AM
How do I change hanging indent default when using automatic number Jenka Microsoft Word Help 1 August 15th 05 04:23 PM