Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Catherine Catherine is offline

Default Word 2007 crash after Win Vista update oct. 2008

Greetings,

In the night of October 29th to 30th, my Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
system was updated automatically. Since then, I can no longer open Word 2007
(I have Office 2007 Ultimate). I did a Word 2007 Diagnostic test, which
revealed no problem. I then tried to "repair" Office 2007 with the tools in
the installation files, and that "repair" crashed in mid course. I use Word
all the time, this is a very serious problem.

I did a system restore, which enabled me to use Word again. But last night,
my computer was again updated automatically, with the same result.

Any help with be much appreciated! thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I too allow the automatic updates at 3 am, and sometimes find the
machine wanting my password because it restarted itself as part of the
process. (So I no longer leave files open, albeit saved, overnight.)
The only ill effect I find is that _sometimes_ the first time I open
Word2007, it tells me it's "configuring" Office2007, and this takes
quite a while. When I open Word2003, sometimes it tells me it's
"installing" it, which I imagine is something similar but doesn't take
nearly as long (maybe because I only reinstalled Word and PowerPoint,
not the whole suite, which I never use anyway).

Which is to say, maybe there's something else in there that's causing
the problem.

On Oct 31, 10:56*am, Catherine
wrote:
Greetings,

In the night of October 29th to 30th, my Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
system was updated automatically. Since then, I can no longer open Word 2007
(I have Office 2007 Ultimate). I did a Word 2007 Diagnostic test, which
revealed no problem. I then tried to "repair" Office 2007 with the tools in
the installation files, and that "repair" crashed in mid course. I use Word
all the time, this is a very serious problem.

I did a system restore, which enabled me to use Word again. But last night,
my computer was again updated automatically, with the same result.

Any help with be much appreciated! thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can prevent both the "configuring" and the "reinstalling" in general by
changing the Registry keys as described at
http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...03-coexisting/. I
have Word 2003 and 2007 peacefully coexisting side by side this way. Like
you, though, I do find that Word 2007 (only) wants to configure itself after
updates have been applied.

wrote:
Greetings,

In the night of October 29th to 30th, my Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
system was updated automatically. Since then, I can no longer open Word
2007
(I have Office 2007 Ultimate). I did a Word 2007 Diagnostic test, which
revealed no problem. I then tried to "repair" Office 2007 with the tools
in
the installation files, and that "repair" crashed in mid course. I use
Word
all the time, this is a very serious problem.

I did a system restore, which enabled me to use Word again. But last
night,
my computer was again updated automatically, with the same result.

Any help with be much appreciated! thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Right ... all I have to do is "add a NoRereg DWORD (32-bit) value to
the Options section for each version of Word that you want to run."
And, according to Herb, potentially destroy the planet, or at least my
Word or my custom settings, in the process.

I can live with a minute of "configuring."

I do have the book *Windows Vista Annoyances*, whose longest chapter
is devoted to messing with the Registry. It doesn't sound like fun.

changing the Registry keys as described athttp://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2007/04/15/word-2007-and-word-2003.... I

wrote:

Greetings,

In the night of October 29th to 30th, my Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
system was updated automatically. Since then, I can no longer open Word
2007
(I have Office 2007 Ultimate). I did a Word 2007 Diagnostic test, which
revealed no problem. I then tried to "repair" Office 2007 with the tools
in
the installation files, and that "repair" crashed in mid course. I use
Word
all the time, this is a very serious problem.

I did a system restore, which enabled me to use Word again. But last
night,
my computer was again updated automatically, with the same result.

Any help with be much appreciated! thank you.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If Herb implies that, it's just the usual CYA verbiage (typical of KB
articles that advise editing the Registry). I can attest there are no
adverse results at all.

I *can't* live with "a minute of configuring" if it happens every time I
start Word 2007 because, while I start Word 2003 first thing in the morning
and leave it open all day, I just fire up Word 2007 to answer questions from
users (and occasionally to write a blog post).