Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cynwalker cynwalker is offline

Default Lose header/footer after deleting last page of document

I have a document with headers & footers (different header for first page). I
ended up with an extra page in the document and I can't delete it without
deleting my headers and footers at the same time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Data for headers and footer is 'stored' in the final paragraph mark of the
document: delete that and, as you observe, you delete the headers and
footers also.

If the superfluous page is a result of a string of empty paragraph marks,
try deleting all but the final one. Failing that, select the final paragraph
and format it so it fits onto the previous page: make sure it's not set to
'New page' with no space before or after, set the font size to 1 pt.

"cynwalker" wrote in message
I have a document with headers & footers (different header for first page).
ended up with an extra page in the document and I can't delete it without
deleting my headers and footers at the same time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The headers and footers are stored in the final paragraph mark of the
document (or in section breaks, if you have any of those).

When you select the page to delete, make sure you don't select the
last paragraph mark. That's easiest to do if you display nonprinting
characters by clicking the ¶ button on the toolbar.

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm for more
explanation.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:46:00 -0800, cynwalker
wrote:

I have a document with headers & footers (different header for first page). I
ended up with an extra page in the document and I can't delete it without
deleting my headers and footers at the same time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I suspect a section break must have been involved in the deletion some way
or other because Word won't really let you delete the last paragraph mark
(it may appear that you've deleted it, but the section formatting it
contains will be transferred up the line somehow, and you can't delete the
last paragraph mark after a table or section break.

wrote:

I have a document with headers & footers (different header for first

page). I
ended up with an extra page in the document and I can't delete it without
deleting my headers and footers at the same time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cynwalker cynwalker is offline

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. It's not a page break but a section break I
can't delete. The paragraph marker is after the section break.

"cynwalker" wrote:

I have a document with headers & footers (different header for first page). I
ended up with an extra page in the document and I can't delete it without
deleting my headers and footers at the same time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
redkatgraphics redkatgraphics is offline

Default Deleting a Section Break (be in Normal View)

You have to be in NORMAL VIEW to delete a section break, I found after much hair pulling, trying to delete one in Page Layout View.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You *can* delete it in Page/Print Layout view, but it's certainly a lot
easier to see in Normal view.