Reenie

Default Worrd2003: Header/Footer Odd/Even Pages Page Numbering Section Br

I have a doc with 4 front matter pages and 30 main pages. It will be in
booklet form, so I need mirror margins. I used regular Page Breaks when
working on the doc. After finishing, I changed the break after the 4th page
to a Section break/Next Page.

In the Front Matter pages, I went to Page Setup/Layout and, per the
instructions of the Word documentation, chose nothing. With my cursor in the
main doc (Section 2), I went to Page Setup/Layout and chose Section Start:
New Page and checked on Header/Footerifferent odd/even....Apply to: This
section. Later on I tried Apply to: From this point forward.

In the doc, the front matter even pages had numbers; the odds didn't. The
main doc had all its page numbers (odd/even) correct. I spent about 3 hours
trying different combinations of breaks: I changed some to Section/Odd or
/Even, etc.

When I went back to the Page Setup for the front matter, it had the same
defaults as the main doc, even though I had re-set them, per the Word
doumentation, several times. Is this a bug in Word? I.E Does Apply to work
or not?

The only thing that solved this is that I read Suzanne Barnhill's article
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm and deleted the
Section break after the front matter and followed her direction to insert an
SectionBreak/OddPage IN FRONT of the section that started the main pages. Is
this the key? I have always inserted breaks AFTER the end of a section.

Now the Page Setup/Layout has slightly different settings. The only thing I
did was to insert the SectionBreak:OddPage before the 1st page of the main
doc. Thanks Suzanne!

I'm glad I could help. A couple of things are going on here. One is that,
unlike "Different first page," the "Different odd and even" setting is
applied to the whole document (it can't be activated for specific sections),
so even when your odd and even header/footer will be the same in a given
section, you still have to set up both the odd and the even.

The other is that you seem to have an incomplete understanding of section
breaks. It is a little confusing that the section break, as viewed in Normal
view, reflects the section start type for the *following* section ("Section
Break (Odd Page)," for example), yet it holds the section formatting for the
*previous* section. This makes working with sections and section breaks
(especially deleting or replacing breaks) rather delicate. For more on this,
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm. Note that you
can change the section start type on the Layout tab of Page Setup; this is a
more reliable method than deleting or replacing a break, which wipes out the

"Reenie" wrote in message
[...]

Odd page section break Jenny Page Layout 5 December 15th 04 09:05 AM
FIrst page footers Noel S Pamfree Microsoft Word Help 7 December 6th 04 09:49 PM
page numbering jeanne Page Layout 4 December 3rd 04 09:47 AM
Insert objects at page breaks DRS - Jonathan Microsoft Word Help 4 November 29th 04 08:16 PM
How to insert Page No of No of "Section" Pages Eli75 Microsoft Word Help 11 November 29th 04 07:47 PM