Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
John Hansen John Hansen is offline

Default Table of Contents help

I inherited a user manual that contains 18 chapters. Each chapter is a
separate Word doc. There is a TOC in the first doc. The original author
somehow related the docs together to allow the TOC to capture info from all
the chapters. I don't know how to relate all of the documents together to
keep the TOC updated. If I change one of the documents and try to update the
TOC, I get an error in the TOC. Is there a way to do this? Thank you. BTW,
I'm using Word 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"John Hansen" wrote:

I inherited a user manual that contains 18 chapters. Each chapter is a
separate Word doc. There is a TOC in the first doc. The original author
somehow related the docs together to allow the TOC to capture info from all
the chapters. I don't know how to relate all of the documents together to
keep the TOC updated. If I change one of the documents and try to update the
TOC, I get an error in the TOC. Is there a way to do this? Thank you. BTW,
I'm using Word 2003.

Open the document with the Master TOC.
Do ALT-F9 to toggle between field values and field codes.
Do "Display All" (The ΒΆ button on the toolbar) to see hidden text.
YOu should see as many {RD } fields as you have chapters in your manual
(18).
Make sure that the path for each chapter in each RD field is correct.
Do ALT-F9 to toggle back to field values.
Do CTRL-A to select the whole thing.
Do F9 to update the fields and the TOC.