Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Zak[_3_] Zak[_3_] is offline

Default Hide/Disable the Table Move Handle

Does anyone know how to switch off this features IF AT ALL POSSIBLE in
Word 2003 ?

I use Print Layout all the time so I must be able to switch off in
that mode rather than Normal or other views.

Thanks

Zak
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

I use 2003 and specifically Print Layout all the time, what exactly is the
problem?
I don't believe it is possible to turn this feature off. Are you having
problems with tables moving around on their own? Do you have the table text
wrapping settings as None?
DeanH

"Zak" wrote:

Does anyone know how to switch off this features IF AT ALL POSSIBLE in
Word 2003 ?

I use Print Layout all the time so I must be able to switch off in
that mode rather than Normal or other views.

Thanks

Zak

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Zak[_3_] Zak[_3_] is offline

"Zak" wrote:
Does anyone know how to switch off this features IF AT ALL POSSIBLE in
Word 2003 ?

I use Print Layout all the time so I must be able to switch off in
that mode rather than Normal or other views.

Thanks

Zak- Hide quoted text -

Hi Dean

This feature makes the tables go crazy overlapping each other and
moving in all directions.

All I want is to switch the d*mn feature off but as you said it cannot
be done so will have to work in Normal mode all the time !

I dont recall having this feature always there ? it make tables be
treated like a graphic object which is a pain ..

Moan .. moan .. moan ..

cheers

Zak
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Zak[_3_] Zak[_3_] is offline

On 25 Feb, 10:56, Zak wrote:
Does anyone know how to switch off this features IF AT ALL POSSIBLE in
Word 2003 ?

I use Print Layout all the time so I must be able to switch off in
that mode rather than Normal or other views.

Thanks

Zak

Does anyone from MS on this group know the real answer to this ? I
wonder if there is a Registry switch which allows switching off ?

cheers

Zak
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

A table can be placed inline or floating. From what you are describing they
are already set to floating. Select the table, right-click it, and then
click Table Properties. On the Table tab, set the Text Wrapping to None
which will change it to an inline table.

When you insert a table it's inserted as an inline table by default. Chances
are you are grabbing the Move handle to move the table which changes the
placement to floating. If you want to keep your tables inline (which will
prevent them from moving and overlapping) then to move them use Cut/Paste
instead of drag/drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton

What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

"Zak" wrote in message
This feature makes the tables go crazy overlapping each other and
moving in all directions.

All I want is to switch the d*mn feature off but as you said it cannot
be done so will have to work in Normal mode all the time !

I dont recall having this feature always there ? it make tables be
treated like a graphic object which is a pain ..

Moan .. moan .. moan ..

cheers

Zak

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

There isn't anyone from MS in these newsgroups. For more on who the MVPs
are, see the "What is a Microsoft MVP" link in my signature.

Also, what you were given is the real answer. There isn't a Reg hack or
similar to remove the view of the Move handle for tables. BUT I suspect I
know the underlying reason you want to remove it. See my reply in this
thread for more information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Zak" wrote in message
Does anyone from MS on this group know the real answer to this ? I
wonder if there is a Registry switch which allows switching off ?

cheers

Zak

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Zak[_3_] Zak[_3_] is offline

"Zak" wrote in message

This feature makes the tables go crazy overlapping each other and
moving in all directions.

All I want is to switch the d*mn feature off but as you said it cannot
be done so will have to work in Normal mode all the time !

I dont recall having this feature always there ? it make tables be
treated like a graphic object which is a pain ..

Moan .. moan .. moan ..

cheers

Zak- Hide quoted text -

Amazing what can be achieved once you UNDERSTAND the logic and
workings behind the feature !

Works like magic now .. many thanks Beth/MS .. brought my faith back
in Word :-)

Regards

Zak
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Amazing what can be achieved once you UNDERSTAND the logic and
workings behind the feature !

Works like magic now .. many thanks Beth/MS .. brought my faith back
in Word :-)

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear you have it sorted out. Isn't always easy
once you have the solution? ;-)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton

What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Zak[_3_] Zak[_3_] is offline

"Zak" wrote:
On 25 Feb, 10:56, Zak wrote:
Does anyone know how to switch off this features IF AT ALL POSSIBLE in
Word 2003 ?

I use Print Layout all the time so I must be able to switch off in
that mode rather than Normal or other views.

Thanks

Zak

Does anyone from MS on this group know the real answer to this ? I
wonder if there is a Registry switch which allows switching off ?

cheers

Zak- Hide quoted text -

cheers Dean for your help ..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I'm very ambivalent about the table handle. It's all too easy to nudge it
accidentally, and the slightest nudge will make a table wrapped. I tend to
work in Normal view, which avoids the problem, but then I can't double-click
on the table handle to select the table, and that *is* a convenience (a
convenience I understand has been lost in Word 2007 sigh).

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Amazing what can be achieved once you UNDERSTAND the logic and
workings behind the feature !

Works like magic now .. many thanks Beth/MS .. brought my faith back
in Word :-)

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear you have it sorted out. Isn't always easy
once you have the solution? ;-)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton

What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Double clicking on the handle used to bring up the Table Properties Dialog,
a facility that has been lost in 2007.

Selecting the Table by single clicking on the handle remains.

--
Enjoy,
Tony