KGZ

Default How do I hide table columns with text in them, in Word 2000

I have a Word 2000 document with a table (3 columns; numerous rows). Each
column/row has text in it. We want to "hide" the last 2 columns of text
before distributing electronically for edits. We don't want to delete these
columns because multiple people will be adding/deleting rows before returning
it. Thus, we can't simply save and keep an original, because the
rows/columns will not match up. Is it possible to hide columns that contain
text in a Word 2000 table? I know all about hiding columns in Excel, & it
just seems like it would have been considered a helpful option in Word tables
as well, but we can't figure it out. We have scoured online help, etc. to no
avail. Any suggestions? Thanks so much...
Greg Maxey

Since you asked for suggestions and not hard answers, I will take a stab -

Could you use and embed an Excel spread sheet with the columns hidden
instead of using a Word Table?

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

KGZ wrote:
I have a Word 2000 document with a table (3 columns; numerous rows).
Each column/row has text in it. We want to "hide" the last 2 columns
of text before distributing electronically for edits. We don't want
to delete these columns because multiple people will be
adding/deleting rows before returning it. Thus, we can't simply save
and keep an original, because the rows/columns will not match up. Is
it possible to hide columns that contain text in a Word 2000 table?
I know all about hiding columns in Excel, & it just seems like it
would have been considered a helpful option in Word tables as well,
but we can't figure it out. We have scoured online help, etc. to no
avail. Any suggestions? Thanks so much...

Jezebel

It's a bit cludgy, but you can format the text of the column as hidden, and
set the column width to zero. Works fine unless the user chooses to display
hidden text, in which case the formatting will look odd, to say the least.

"KGZ" wrote in message
I have a Word 2000 document with a table (3 columns; numerous rows). Each
column/row has text in it. We want to "hide" the last 2 columns of text
before distributing electronically for edits. We don't want to delete
these
columns because multiple people will be adding/deleting rows before
returning
it. Thus, we can't simply save and keep an original, because the
rows/columns will not match up. Is it possible to hide columns that
contain
text in a Word 2000 table? I know all about hiding columns in Excel, & it
just seems like it would have been considered a helpful option in Word
tables
as well, but we can't figure it out. We have scoured online help, etc. to
no
avail. Any suggestions? Thanks so much...

kgz

Great suggestion and thank you very much, but the document already exists as
a Word table and it is a 67 pages long table, with about 15 pages of Word
text before the table starts. I could have done that before the document was
created, but it is now so full of formatting in the table that it goes
haywire if I try to cut and paste it in to Excel, hide the columns, then
bring it back to Word as an embedded Excel spread sheet. But thanks for the
"stab"!