Jim Wood

Default Tables won't break across pages.

I've got a series of Word documents that are composed largely of tables...
this for annotation in what becomes a wide margin. Under Word in Office 2000
I never had a problem, except that Widow/Orphan control didn't seem to work
in tables. No big deal, this could be managed manually.

But now, using Word for Office 2003/XP, I cannot get a table to break across
page transitions. Only 'complete' table cells can be accommodated on a page,
otherwise contiguous cells break apart and slip to the next page, leaving a
big white space on the previous one.

Am I missing something? I'm almost ready to reinstall Office 2000!

Jim Wood

Thanks, Hélène,

But that box is already checked... defaults that way, I think. I even tried
unchecking the box and the rechecking it again... no dice. I have to split
the table manually to fit as many cells on one page as I can, then live with
the white space on the previous page. Something here is different than with
Office 2000.

-Jim

Jim Wood

Thanks, Suzanne,

But I thought of that, too. This one really has me baffled. (I think) I've
tried everything!

Jim

John Batterham

Jim,

Did you create these documents in Word 2000 or Word 2003, or doesn't it
matter on your computer?

Have you looked at whether you have chosen apply formatting to the whole
table within the Modify Style of the particular style you are using for this
table, rather than some of the other single row or cell options?

"Jim Wood" wrote:

Thanks, Suzanne,

But I thought of that, too. This one really has me baffled. (I think) I've
tried everything!

Jim

Click in each paragraph in the affected cells (one at a time) and go to
Format | Paragraph. On the Line and Page Breaks tab, make sure "Keep with
next" is not checked.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure the text in the relevant cells is not formatted as "Keep with
next."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Thanks, Hélène,

But that box is already checked... defaults that way, I think. I even

tried
unchecking the box and the rechecking it again... no dice. I have to

split
the table manually to fit as many cells on one page as I can, then

live
with
the white space on the previous page. Something here is different

than
with
Office 2000.

-Jim

Jim Wood

Boy,

Do I ever feel the dummy. I was using tables to create a running 2-column
page, with text entered in the right column, and only brief
headings/annotations in the left. Well, well, lo and behold, it was cells in
the left column that were marked 'keep with next.' I must have done that
once for some reason, then when I copied and pasted parts of the table
(including lots of empty cells for later writing) the formatting 'multiplied.'

I will sit in the corner for a while.

--Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Linda Wilson

I have tried everyone's suggestions about making sure the cells/ rows are not
linked with next, and the box is checked in the tables tab, but my row still
won't split. Any other suggestions? My table is only on column wide. I
have also selected the whole document to turn off the check box. Help?

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Boy,

Do I ever feel the dummy. I was using tables to create a running 2-column
page, with text entered in the right column, and only brief
headings/annotations in the left. Well, well, lo and behold, it was cells

in
the left column that were marked 'keep with next.' I must have done that
once for some reason, then when I copied and pasted parts of the table
(including lots of empty cells for later writing) the formatting

'multiplied.'

I will sit in the corner for a while.

--Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Linda Wilson

I appear to have solved my own problem and thought I'd share with others if
they get stuck. I removed the check box for Specified row height and that
appeared to do the trick. I don't know if it will work every time, but will
give it a go.

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Boy,

Do I ever feel the dummy. I was using tables to create a running 2-column
page, with text entered in the right column, and only brief
headings/annotations in the left. Well, well, lo and behold, it was cells

in
the left column that were marked 'keep with next.' I must have done that
once for some reason, then when I copied and pasted parts of the table
(including lots of empty cells for later writing) the formatting

'multiplied.'

I will sit in the corner for a while.

--Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stella

I've had the same problem and none of the things mentioned in these postings
applied to my setup. More suggestions please!

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Boy,

Do I ever feel the dummy. I was using tables to create a running 2-column
page, with text entered in the right column, and only brief
headings/annotations in the left. Well, well, lo and behold, it was cells
in
the left column that were marked 'keep with next.' I must have done that
once for some reason, then when I copied and pasted parts of the table
(including lots of empty cells for later writing) the formatting
'multiplied.'

I will sit in the corner for a while.

--Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Amy McGuire Amy McGuire is offline

I've followed all the suggestions in this thread, and I'm still having
problems with my document. I cannot break the rows of my table over pages.
Any other suggestions?

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Boy,

Do I ever feel the dummy. I was using tables to create a running

2-column
page, with text entered in the right column, and only brief
headings/annotations in the left. Well, well, lo and behold, it

was cells
in
the left column that were marked 'keep with next.' I must have

done that
once for some reason, then when I copied and pasted parts of the

table
(including lots of empty cells for later writing) the formatting
'multiplied.'

I will sit in the corner for a while.

--Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You might find some help in the articles at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...bleOn1Page.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ksInTables.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that the table wrapping is set to None (Table tab of Table
Properties).

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Boy,

Do I ever feel the dummy. I was using tables to create a

running
2-column
page, with text entered in the right column, and only brief
headings/annotations in the left. Well, well, lo and behold,

it
was cells
in
the left column that were marked 'keep with next.' I must

have
done that
once for some reason, then when I copied and pasted parts of

the
table
(including lots of empty cells for later writing) the

formatting
'multiplied.'

I will sit in the corner for a while.

--Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
tnmenon tnmenon is offline

I tried all the suggestions, still my table rows don't break across pages.
It does, when I remove the page footer (text). Can any one help, please?

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
Boy,

Do I ever feel the dummy. I was using tables to create a running

2-column
page, with text entered in the right column, and only brief
headings/annotations in the left. Well, well, lo and behold, it

was cells
in
the left column that were marked 'keep with next.' I must have

done that
once for some reason, then when I copied and pasted parts of the

table
(including lots of empty cells for later writing) the formatting
'multiplied.'

I will sit in the corner for a while.

--Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you like, send me the problem document (with a problem description), and
I'll take a look.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Isn't this always the way? As soon as you swear up and down

that you
haven't
done something, or that you've tested for A, B, and C, they

come
back to
bite you!

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
cbemoras cbemoras is offline

This may sound crazy, but I had a similar problem one time and I decided to
try to see if it had something to do with the header. I had an object placed
in the header and changed the layout from square to in line with text and for
some reason the table in the document was now working. Just the other day I
had a problem with a table and had to change the header object from in line
with text to square to get it to work. Makes no sense, but it worked.