Bryan

Default personal spelling dictionary

I have just started with Microsoft Word 2003. When I right click on a
misspelled word I get no option to add a word to the custom dictionary. A
custom dictionary exists in the pathname C:\Documents and
Settings\bryan\applications data\Microsoft\Proof\CUSTOM.dic. I followed the
troubleshooting hints but found nothing appropriate. Under tab Tools |
Options | Spelling & Grammar | Custom Dictionary | CUSTOM.DIC (default) is
checked and the pathname at the bottom appears to have the pathname I just
entered. I cannot be positive because the actual value displayed here is
C:\ ...\applications data\Microsoft\Proof\CUSTOM.dic.

What do I need to do to activate my personal dictionary.

I posted this to microsoft.public.word.general but after a full day the
posting has not appeared.
Thank you,
Bryan

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Bryan,

I have just started with Microsoft Word 2003. When I right click on a
misspelled word I get no option to add a word to the custom dictionary. A
custom dictionary exists in the pathname C:\Documents and
Settings\bryan\applications data\Microsoft\Proof\CUSTOM.dic. I followed the
troubleshooting hints but found nothing appropriate. Under tab Tools |
Options | Spelling & Grammar | Custom Dictionary | CUSTOM.DIC (default) is
checked and the pathname at the bottom appears to have the pathname I just
entered. I cannot be positive because the actual value displayed here is
C:\ ...\applications data\Microsoft\Proof\CUSTOM.dic.

What do I need to do to activate my personal dictionary.

One general reason for this problem would be a language conflict between the
dictionary and your text. When you go into the list of custom dictionaries
where you were before, is the dictionary listed under "All languages" or a
specific language (which one)?

I posted this to microsoft.public.word.general but after a full day the
posting has not appeared.

That newsgroup hasn't existed for a LONG time on the original servers. You
must be accessing the newsgroups through you ISP's server? You should ask them
to remove that group; anything posted to it is going into a blackhole...

Note that the best place to have asked this would have been
word.spelling.grammar - there are a couple of MS people who drop by there,
occasionally.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org