Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rwmj rwmj is offline

Default missing queries in data source list (Word/Access 2007)

Wne I open a Access 2007 database as a source in Word 2007 (or in
Excel 2007) I can see some of the Queries but not all of them.

There is no obvious commonality between those in either category (show/
noshow). For example both the queries shown and the queries not shown
include some very simple queries based on only one table in with no
Expression fields.

Anyone have good quesses on why Word (and Excel) are ignoring some
queries? (It looks random but there must be some basis for choosing or
ignoring a given query)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When you use Access as a data source some query types will not be listed,
e.g.
a. parameter queries (i.e. ones where Access would prompt you for a value)
b. queries that contain functions written in Access VBA
c. queries containing one of the financial series functions (most of them
anyway)
d. queries containing one or two other Jet/ACE SQL functions that are for
some reason not recognised by Jet/ACE OLE DB (perhaps the replace()
function, for example)
e. Union queries
f. perhaps queries that get their data from cedrtain types of linked table.

Some queries may be visible but won't return any data, e.g. queries that use
* and ? as wildcards rather than % and _ (and by default, that would be
/all/ queries that use wildcards in a database created in Access 2007).

That's all true of Access 2003. Most of the same things are /probably true
of Access 2007, and there could also be other restrictions.

From Word, you get to see most queries if you choose the DDE connection
method (you have to go into Word 2007's settings and check something like
"Confirm conversions at open" - That's actually the Word 2003 description of
the option as I haven't got the Word 2007 one to hand. But DDE has other
problems (it has to open Access, doesn't retrieve Unicode text, and possibly
other stuff I don't know about in Access 2007.

Peter Jamiesonb

"rwmj" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wne I open a Access 2007 database as a source in Word 2007 (or in
Excel 2007) I can see some of the Queries but not all of them.

There is no obvious commonality between those in either category (show/
noshow). For example both the queries shown and the queries not shown
include some very simple queries based on only one table in with no
Expression fields.

Anyone have good quesses on why Word (and Excel) are ignoring some
queries? (It looks random but there must be some basis for choosing or
ignoring a given query)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rwmj rwmj is offline

On 8 Mar, 15:45, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
[...]

From Word, you get to see most queries if you choose the DDE connection
method (you have to go into Word 2007's settings and check something like
"Confirm conversions at open" - That's actually the Word 2003 description of
the option as I haven't got the Word 2007 one to hand. But DDE has other
problems (it has to open Access, doesn't retrieve Unicode text, and possibly
other stuff I don't know about in Access 2007.

Peter Jamiesonb

"rwmj" wrote in message

ups.com...

Wne I open a Access 2007 database as a source in Word 2007 (or in
Excel 2007) I can see some of the Queries but not all of them.

There is no obvious commonality between those in either category (show/
noshow). For example both the queries shown and the queries not shown
include some very simple queries based on only one table in with no
Expression fields.

Anyone have good quesses on why Word (and Excel) are ignoring some
queries? (It looks random but there must be some basis for choosing or
ignoring a given query)- Hide quoted text -

Wow. I had no idea that Word Mail Merge from Access was so inadequate!
And there was me thinking it was one of the few good things Microsoft
had done!