Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Derek(Dj) Derek(Dj) is offline

Default Word 2007 And Word 2003 Problum

I would like to know if it is possible to save word 2007 documents in word
2003 format so when the beta expires; when I go to school and work I would be
able to open the files with word 2003. If it is possible would I still be
able to open them in word 2007 or do I have to save 2 copies, 1 in 2003 and 1
in 2007. Hope I explained it clearly, Thanks allot.

Derek.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?RGVyZWsoRGop?=,

I would like to know if it is possible to save word 2007 documents in word
2003 format so when the beta expires; when I go to school and work I would be
able to open the files with word 2003. If it is possible would I still be
able to open them in word 2007 or do I have to save 2 copies, 1 in 2003 and 1
in 2007.

In File/Save As there's a file type "Word 97-2003 document (*.doc)". Select that
and all versions of Word back through 97 should be able to open the document.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

To add to Cindy's reply. If you use Word 2007-only features like
SmartArt or the new charts or equation editor, then those cannot be
edited anymore once you open the file again in Word 2007, as Word 2007
opens the file then in Compatibility Mode where everything that is not
supported by Word 2003 is represented the way it would look like in
2003. In Word 2003, those things would be represented by images.
To get these items to be editable again in Word 2007, you need to use
Office button menu, Convert. Then they are back in the 2007 format,
editable again, and you can save them, if you want, as 97-2003 with Save
As again.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote