Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tinus Trotyl Tinus Trotyl is offline

Default Digital Signatures lost when saving in 2003 format from Word 2007

I need to digitally sign many documents - previously I did that with Word 2003.

When I now open an unsigned Word 2003 doc with Word 2007, add an invisible
digital signature to it, save it as 97-2003 .doc, and then open it in Word
2003, the signature is not there.

When I open a previously (in Word 2003) signed 2003 doc in Word 2007, the
digital signature appears OK.

Am I missing something, or are signatures different between 2003 / 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

save it as 97-2003 .doc

That's exactly what the problem is - digital signatures are *removed* any
time a document bearing them is *saved*... even if you don't actualy change
a thing, just clicking the Save button will kick the digisig. IOW, it's the
*saving* that kills the sig, not the changing.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Tinus Trotyl" wrote in message
I need to digitally sign many documents - previously I did that with Word
2003.

When I now open an unsigned Word 2003 doc with Word 2007, add an invisible
digital signature to it, save it as 97-2003 .doc, and then open it in Word
2003, the signature is not there.

When I open a previously (in Word 2003) signed 2003 doc in Word 2007, the
digital signature appears OK.

Am I missing something, or are signatures different between 2003 / 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tinus Trotyl Tinus Trotyl is offline

Default Digital Signatures lost when saving in 2003 format from Word 2

That is not it. When I create a Word 2003 document in Word 2007, save it,
then add a signature, there is no additional saving. When I re-open the
document in Word 2007, I see the signature - as expected. But when I open
that same document in Word 2003, I don't see the signature...

I guess my statement "Digital Signatures lost when saving in 2003 format
from Word 2007" is not accurate - it should be "Digital Signature not visible
when opening a Word 2003 document created and signed in Word 2007".

"CyberTaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?VGludXMgVHJvdHls?=,

When I now open an unsigned Word 2003 doc with Word 2007, add an invisible
digital signature to it, save it as 97-2003 .doc, and then open it in Word
2003, the signature is not there.

What if you first save in 97-2003 format and then sign it? That's a
completely different file format, so you would definitely have to have the
format, first.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tinus Trotyl Tinus Trotyl is offline

First save to Word 2003 format (in fact I receive the documents I have to
sign in 2003 format), then sign: exactly the same: signature is there in Word
2007, but not in Word 2003.