Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mountain Mike Mountain Mike is offline

Default How do I make MS Word my default program to open attached email fi

Word used to be my default program for opening email attached text or even
Word files. I must have changed the default somehow because now Notebook is
the default application, even when i have a Word attached file. How do I
change it back so that Word opens the attached file when i click on it? I use
Outlook Express for my email application. Thanks...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Putting aside the issue that opening documents directly from e-mail messages
is bad practice - see How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening
files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

Mountain Mike wrote:
Word used to be my default program for opening email attached text or
even Word files. I must have changed the default somehow because now
Notebook is the default application, even when i have a Word attached
file. How do I change it back so that Word opens the attached file
when i click on it? I use Outlook Express for my email application.
Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mountain Mike Mountain Mike is offline

Default How do I make MS Word my default program to open attached emai

Graham,

I followed the link you provided and followed the instructions -- I even
rebooted. But when I go to open an attached Word document that my colleague
has attached to his email, my computer still uses Notepad to open it. In
order for me to use Word I have to transfer the document to a folder then go
through Word to open it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Mountain Mike wrote:
Word used to be my default program for opening email attached text or
even Word files. I must have changed the default somehow because now
Notebook is the default application, even when i have a Word attached
file. How do I change it back so that Word opens the attached file
when i click on it? I use Outlook Express for my email application.
Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Windows Explorer, right click on a Word document (*.doc) and select Open
With and then Choose Program and select Microsoft Word from the list of
available programs and check the box for "Always use the selected program to
open this kind of file."

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Word pad Sharon Microsoft Word Help 26 December 14th 06 09:16 PM
unable to use electronic postage i have with microsoft word Louise Mailmerge 4 August 12th 06 04:27 AM
How do I get all my Word documents within one Word window RobJacobs Microsoft Word Help 5 April 12th 05 03:04 AM