Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Alex Alex is offline

Default How do I make a "contact sheet" of photos?

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from a folder?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I make a "contact sheet" of photos?

Yes, you can easily create a contact sheet of photos in Microsoft Word. Here's how:
  1. Open a new Word document and go to the Insert tab.
  2. Click on Table and select the number of rows and columns you want for your contact sheet.
  3. Once you have your table, go to the Insert tab again and click on Pictures.
  4. Select From File and choose the folder where your photos are stored.
  5. Hold down the Ctrl key and click on each photo you want to insert into the table.
  6. Click Insert and the selected photos will be inserted into the table cells.

You can resize the photos by clicking on them and dragging the corners. You can also adjust the table size and cell spacing to fit your needs.

Another option is to use the Insert Picture option in each cell of the table. This allows you to choose the specific photo you want for each cell, rather than inserting all photos at once.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:47:00 -0800, Alex wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from a folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free program IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact sheet. It also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

That sounds cool! I've been meaning to get around to getting Irfanview for
years, and that might be what would push me over the top to finally do it.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from a
folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free program
IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the
folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact sheet. It
also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Alex Alex is offline

Thanks, Jay.
I've been using Irfan and the contact sheet printer works great for image
files. I guess I asked the wrong question though. What I really want to do
is print a contact sheet of the thumbnails in a folder containing many file
types such as Word documents, photos, Powerpoints, etc. Any idea how to do
that? I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Alex

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:47:00 -0800, Alex wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from a folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free program IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact sheet. It also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Do you mean you want your contact sheet to include, say, a thumbnail of each
Word document or other Office document, as well as thumbnails of graphics files?
If that's what you're after, no, I don't know how to do that, in Word or in any
other program.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:47:00 -0800, Alex wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from a folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free program IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact sheet. It also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Alex Alex is offline

Yes, Jay, that's what I want to do--print a thumbnail view of all the files
in a given folder.

I've got a real cumbersome workaround: convert all documents to PDF then
open them in Adobe and save as JPG. It takes time so I was hoping for a
quick and easy solution!

Thanks for your help!
Alex

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:47:00 -0800, Alex wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from a folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free program IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact sheet. It also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There is another possibility. The SnagIt program (www.techsmith.com) can take a
screen capture and save it directly as a JPG. I haven't played with this aspect
of the program enough to know whether it can automatically size the image while
it's saving it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can -- it's a very versatile
program. You can download a time-limited trial version from the website to see
what it can do.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:47:00 -0800, Alex wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from a folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free program IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact sheet. It also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Alex Alex is offline

Jay,
Thanks for the tip. I'll try Snagit.

Alex

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:47:00 -0800, Alex wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from a folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free program IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact sheet. It also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could bear in mind that Windows Picture and Fax viewer can produce such
contacts sheets without the need for further software

wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from
a folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free program
IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the
folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact sheet.
It also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Office Picture Manager can do some things, too, but it isn't very flexible.
I'm not familiar with the Picture and Fax Viewer; where do I find that?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos from
a folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free program
IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the
folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact sheet.
It also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is the default tool Windows Explorer uses in Windows XP to display
images. If the file allocation has been reassigned to another application,
right click an image and open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Click the
print button to access a raft of options in the Photo Printing wizard.

wrote:

Is there a way to make a table and automatically insert photos
from a folder?

There's a much easier way than using Word. Download the free
program IrfanView
(www.irfanview.com). On the file menu, click Thumbnails. Choose the
folder,
select the pictures you want, and click File Create contact
sheet. It also has
lots of options for picture size, additional text, etc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Okay, it seems to invoke the same printing wizard as MOPM, which would
explain why you can print from MOPM in Windows XP but not in Windows 2000
(because MOPM in XP uses the printing wizard from the Picture and Fax
Viewer).