Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Renee Clough[_2_] Renee Clough[_2_] is offline

Default Copying address from letter onto envelope

The secretary in our office has been using WordPerfect for years and has been
asked to convert to Word. She would previously create our billings as a
letter-style WordPerfect document then copy and paste the mailing address
onto the envelope and print both. We would like her to do this same process
in Word, but it seems to have a lot more steps. The only way that we can
find to get the address onto the envelope seems to involve going through a
number of dialog boxes. Is there anyway to set up a document to be an
envelope so she can paste it into the document and push print? I have also
heard that there is a setting which will allow Word to recognize addresses
and create an envelope for them by clicking on the address. Is this true?
Will either of these ideas work, is there a better way than these or are the
dialog boxes the only option?
Thanks,
Renee
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JEverhart JEverhart is offline

From within your Word document you can choose:
Tools
Letters & Mailings
Envelopes & Labels

This will cause the address in the document to populate the box on the
screen. You can choose OPTIONS and change the size of the envelope so that
it will print correctly. Then choose PRINT and the printer will, in most
cases, prompt for an envelope to be inserted in the manual feed tray.

You can also choose ADD TO DOCUMENT and it will put an image of the envelope
in your document.
--
JEverhart

"Renee Clough" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Renee Clough[_2_] Renee Clough[_2_] is offline

Thanks - I have Word 2007 and this works well in my version. It
automatically recognizes the address and sets it up on the envelope. The
secretary has Word 2003 however and it doesn't seem to automatically
recognize the address. Is there anyway to get this feature for 2003?
Renee

From within your Word document you can choose:

"Renee Clough" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

With Word 2003, if the address is all in one paragraph (with each new line
created by using Shift+Enter, rather than Enter) when that paragraph is
selected when an envelope is accessed by selecting Letters and Mailings from
the Tools menu and then Envelopes and Labels, the full address appears in
the Delivery Address control on the Envelope tab (and in the Address control
on the Labels tab) of the Envelopes and Labels dialog.

Of course, I would really suggest that you automate the whole process by
creating a template that contains both the envelope and the letter and have
a userform in that template into which the user either enters the details of
the addressee, or better, selects them from a list that would appear in a
combobox that is populated from an external data source that you probably
already have, and then when the user clicks on a button on that form, the
necessary details would be transferred both into the envelope and into the
letter in the required places.

See the article "How to create a Userform" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Renee Clough" wrote in message
Thanks - I have Word 2007 and this works well in my version. It
automatically recognizes the address and sets it up on the envelope. The
secretary has Word 2003 however and it doesn't seem to automatically
recognize the address. Is there anyway to get this feature for 2003?
Renee

From within your Word document you can choose:

"Renee Clough" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If Word cannot automatically detect the address in your document, then
select the address before running the envelope tool and the selected text
will be trasferred to the dialog. Applying a different paragraph style to
the addressee information in the letter to that of the following text will
help Word recognize the address. I recommend using Word's InsideAddress
style for this. You can edit the style in the template to provide the
appearance you want.

You may find http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm useful.

Renee Clough wrote:
Thanks - I have Word 2007 and this works well in my version. It
automatically recognizes the address and sets it up on the envelope.
The secretary has Word 2003 however and it doesn't seem to
automatically recognize the address. Is there anyway to get this
feature for 2003? Renee

From within your Word document you can choose: