rocketman60

Default Bold, Italics and Underline not turning on

Recently, the "on the fly" bolding, italiczing and underlining stopped
working on all my documents. What I mean is that if while I am typing a
document, press Ctrl+B, U or I, the button on the toolbar appears to show
that I pressed the key but then it immediately turns itself off. It does the
same thing if I click on the button on the toolbar. However, if I select the
text first then press Ctrl+B, it bolds the text. Is there an option that I
may have inadvertently set. Please help.

When you click one of these buttons or press one of the shortcuts, you are
doing one of two things:

1. Applying the formatting to selected text.

2. Applying the formatting to any text you type from that point on.

In some versions of Word, it is sufficient to click in a word and press
Ctrl+B to bold it; this does not work in recent versions unless you have
"When selecting, automatically select entire word" checked on the Edit tab
of Tools | Options (and this option can cause problems in selecting parts of
words, so I prefer to leave it unchecked). You can still select the word by
double-clicking.

"rocketman60" wrote in message
Recently, the "on the fly" bolding, italiczing and underlining stopped
working on all my documents. What I mean is that if while I am typing a
document, press Ctrl+B, U or I, the button on the toolbar appears to show
that I pressed the key but then it immediately turns itself off. It does

the
same thing if I click on the button on the toolbar. However, if I select

the
text first then press Ctrl+B, it bolds the text. Is there an option that

may have inadvertently set. Please help.

rocketman60

It is unchecked but my issue is that when I press the bold keystroke it does
not "turn on" the bolding to be applied to any text I type from that point
forward. I have to type the text, select it and then apply the formatting.
I have been using Word for years and have never encountered this. If this is
not behavior due to some setting then maybe I have a bad file somewhere and
need to reinstall Word.

Larry