Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidJ726

Default 1/3 Special Character Available?

I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's. Am I
missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math equations
option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: 1/3 Special Character Available?

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out to me. I'm happy to help you with your question.

Regarding your concern, Microsoft Word does not have a specific special character for 1/3. However, there are a few ways you can insert the 1/3 symbol into your document.

Here are some options:
  1. Use the Equation Editor:
    - Click on "Insert" tab on the ribbon.
    - Click on "Equation" in the "Symbols" section.
    - In the Equation Editor, type "1/3" and press "Enter".
    - The 1/3 symbol will be inserted into your document.
  2. Use the Symbol featu
    - Click on "Insert" tab on the ribbon.
    - Click on "Symbol" in the "Symbols" section.
    - In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Arial Unicode MS" from the "Font" dropdown menu.
    - Scroll down until you find the 1/3 symbol and click on it.
    - Click on "Insert" to insert the symbol into your document.
  3. Use the Alt code:
    - Place your cursor where you want to insert the 1/3 symbol.
    - Press and hold the "Alt" key on your keyboard.
    - While holding the "Alt" key, type "8531" on the numeric keypad.
    - Release the "Alt" key and the 1/3 symbol will be inserted into your document.

PHP Code:
Note: If you are using a Macyou can use the "Option" key "V" to insert the 1/3 symbol
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc

David,
What happens if you type 2153 and then hit Alt+X.
Works for me here.

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)

"DavidJ726" schreef in bericht
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's. Am I
missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math equations
option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidJ726

Works for me as well Thanks!

So it's not a special character that can be inserted as when formating the
text. Where can a list of this type of things be found?

David

"Luc" wrote in message
David,
What happens if you type 2153 and then hit Alt+X.
Works for me here.

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)

"DavidJ726" schreef in bericht
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's. Am I
missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math equations
option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidJ726

Let me rephrase to be more specific. Where is 2/3? I can find the /8's,
/4's & 1/4 but not the /3rds.
Thanks

"Luc" wrote in message
David,
What happens if you type 2153 and then hit Alt+X.
Works for me here.

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)

"DavidJ726" schreef in bericht
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's. Am I
missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math equations
option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Sauer

Insert, symbol, subset, number forms.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Luc" wrote in message
David,
What happens if you type 2153 and then hit Alt+X.
Works for me here.

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)

"DavidJ726" schreef in bericht
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's. Am I
missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math equations
option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidJ726

That's where I've been looking. Under Unicode I have the following:

Latin:
1/4 1/2 3/4

Number Forms:
1/8 3/8 5/8 7/8

Under ASCII I have the following:
1/4 1/2 3/4

But I don't have the 1/3 or 2/3 in the number forms. I can type the 2153 or
2154 (for the 2/3) and it's inserted into my Word doc, but I can't see them
in the listing. But if I open up Excel I can find it immediately... Go
figure...

Thanks,
David

"Luc" wrote in message
David,
What happens if you type 2153 and then hit Alt+X.
Works for me here.

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)

"DavidJ726" schreef in bericht
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's. Am
I missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math
equations option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Take a look at the articles on fractions in the Additional Resources section
of http://addbalance.com/usersguide/basic_formatting.htm. There are a number
of ways, including some where you make it automatic, to do what you want.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"DavidJ726" wrote in message
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's. Am I
missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math equations
option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Insert | Symbol and look in the Number Forms character subset. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm. Also (for other
fractions) see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CreateFraction.htm,
http://www.gmayor.com/createfraction.htm, and
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Formatted_Fractions.htm.

"DavidJ726" wrote in message
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's. Am I
missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math equations
option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidJ726

Default * ANSWER* 1/3 Special Character Available?

The answer is simple, yet elusive... These symbols aren't available in all
fonts. In other words, if I have a new document open up anf Veranda is the
default font, and I go to insert the 1/3, it doesn't show up in the field
codes, nor does it show up in the field codes under normal text. But if I
change the font to Aerial or Times New Roman, the 1/2 & 2/3 will show up in
the character fields. Once I select & use it, then it shows up as a
recently used symbol I can use regardless of what font I'm using.

Next question while I'm beginning to review some of these FAQ's that have
been posted, the 1/4, 1/4 & 3/4 are all automatically formatted as a
fraction when typing it in Word, but the 1/3 or 2/3 does not. Any way to
force it other than typing 2153 Alt-X ?

Thanks,
David

"DavidJ726" wrote in message
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's. Am I
missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math equations
option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CreateFraction.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"DavidJ726" wrote in message
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's.
Am I missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math
equations option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidJ726

Thanks Jim, I went there already but the link for exploiting fractions
(something like that) didn't work. I guess I need to go back to your FAQ &
see what I missed.

David

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CreateFraction.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so
all may benefit.

"DavidJ726" wrote in message
I can see the 1/4 1/2 & 3/4 special characters but nothing in 3rd's.
Am I missing them somewhere? I'm pretty sure I installed the math
equations option when I installed Word 2003.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidJ726

Googled it, found the correct link on your site & now I'm in business!

Thanks,
David