Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill-Hayward Bill-Hayward is offline

Default How to import EPS file?

How can I import an EPS file, into Word 2002, Windows XP?

When I try, using Insert - Picture - From File, then choose the file, it
shows nothing on the screen, no text, no picture. If I click on the area, it
does show a box, but there is no picture or text in the box.

I've tried importing different EPS files and get the same problem.

Is there a way to tell if the import filters (or whatever it uses) are
installed correctly?

I have done the instructions in KnowledgeBase article 290362, to Install a
non-installed Graphics Filter, but I can't tell if it did anything, if it
actually installed the converters/filters correctly.
(Change Programs-Add Features-Converters-Graphic Filters)

Can an expert help me insert/import an eps file?

Thank you,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

FWIW, that hasn't been needed or a couple of versions, although the print results may be better with a Postscript printer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290362/en-us?FR=1

===========
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
You must have a PostScript printer set as the active printer in order to see
the EPS graphics.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Bill,

How EPS graphics behave when imported into Word can depend on
- your settings for viewing pictures,
- the version of the EPS Import filter (EPSImp32.flt) that is installed (or if it's installed),
- or what app generated the EPS graphic and the Postscript language level it used.

In Tools=Options=View turn off 'Picture Placeholders'

In Tools=Options=General turn on 'Confirm Conversions on open'
and then use File=Open on a non Word document (you can cancel when you get the confirmation dialog). Doing that will sometimes
cause Word to reread the installed filters folder.

How were the EPS files generated.

==============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure why I keep forgetting that. Was it perhaps true under Windows
2000 but not XP? Because I have strong memories, as recently as 2004 or
2005, of EPS graphics that were quite invisible in Word unless I set a PS
printer as active.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Suzanne,

FWIW, that hasn't been needed or a couple of versions, although the print
results may be better with a Postscript printer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290362/en-us?FR=1

===========
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You must have a PostScript printer set as the active printer in order to
see
the EPS graphics.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Does the EPS file have a display image included? I thought EPS files needed
a low level bitmap included in order to display the graphic in Word?

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Graham,

That was the basic change that was made in the EPS filter. The newer one renders a graphic in Word by reading the EPS information
and ignores the preview. The older one showed the preview and, if using a non-postscript printer also used the thumbnail for
printing.

When MS purchased the Visio product and added it to Office it was hoped that since they now had their EPS filter (and other graphics
filters that Office didn't have) that those would be incorporated into Office, but it didn't happen.

================
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message ...
Does the EPS file have a display image included? I thought EPS files needed
a low level bitmap included in order to display the graphic in Word?

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

The behavior should be the same in both Windows versions as far as onscreen viewing, depending on which EPS filter was invoked, but
having a postscript printer selected could also make a difference.

================
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
I'm not sure why I keep forgetting that. Was it perhaps true under Windows
2000 but not XP? Because I have strong memories, as recently as 2004 or
2005, of EPS graphics that were quite invisible in Word unless I set a PS
printer as active.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill-Hayward[_2_] Bill-Hayward[_2_] is offline

Bob,

Thanks for the help. I did your steps; "Picture placeholders" was already
unclicked and "Confirm Conversions" was already clicked on. I tried to "open"
a PDF document (within word) It gave the "convert file" question.

It still does the same thing, it doesn't import, I can't see the file on the
screen and it prints nothing, (an empty area, where the graphic should be)
when I try to import an eps file.

I have about 8 different eps logos, and 2 of them will show on screen and
print, but all others don't. I don't know how they were created, with what
program they were created. (or Mac or Windows)

However, they all work correctly when inserted into PageMaker.

Do you have any additional ideas on troubleshooting; How to insert an EPS
file into Word? (Word 2002/Windows XP)

My file "EPSImp32.flt" is 692K, dated Oct 25, 2000, version 2000.10.25.0 Do
you know what's the correct/best version or date?

I thought I'd try changing the printer, just to test it, from Suzanne's
suggestion. Question: How do you set an active printer? Is that referring to
the default printer in Windows? Or is it a Word thing? Under Page Setup,
there is no printer option.

Thank you,
Bill
----------------------

--------------------

-----------
You must have a PostScript printer set as the active printer in order to see

the EPS graphics.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Bill,

In the Microsoft Office XP choice in Add/Remove Programs in the Windows control panel if you look at the feature installation tree
under Shared Features are the additional graphics filters all installed?

The version of the EPSimp32.flt is from Office 2000, which could produce the behavior you're seeing so switching to a different
printer in Word (File=Print=Close) could help.

You can use the converters from the consolidated Office Converter Pack (OConvPk.exe) from
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212265/en-us?FR=1
The EPSimp32.FLT filter in that pack is 418K, 06Aug03, version 2003.1100.5531.0, although you should have an updated version of the
EPS filter if you have installed Office XP Service Pack 3.
http://update.microsoft.com

Do you have a web page where you can provide a link to your EPS graphics, either individually or in a .zip file? Depending on the
source and settings for Postscript language in the app that created them that can be a separate factor.

Basically, EPS is not a MS format and has not really been one of their 'chosen ones' for suggested graphics formats.

===============
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

?B?QmlsbC1IYXl3YXJk?=
wrote in news
How can I import an EPS file, into Word 2002, Windows XP?

When I try, using Insert - Picture - From File, then choose the file,
it shows nothing on the screen, no text, no picture. If I click on the
area, it does show a box, but there is no picture or text in the box.

I've tried importing different EPS files and get the same problem.

Is there a way to tell if the import filters (or whatever it uses) are
installed correctly?

I have done the instructions in KnowledgeBase article 290362, to
Install a non-installed Graphics Filter, but I can't tell if it did
anything, if it actually installed the converters/filters correctly.
(Change Programs-Add Features-Converters-Graphic Filters)

Can an expert help me insert/import an eps file?

Thank you,
Bill

The excellent Freeware graphics software; "Ifranview" opens EPS files.
http://www.irfanview.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill-Hayward[_2_] Bill-Hayward[_2_] is offline

Hi Bob,

Thanks for helping me with this.

filters installed?

Yes, most are. Installed a tiff, eps, bmp, pct, pict, gif
not installed; cdr, wpg

After installing the Office Converter Pack, my file EPSimp32.FLT is
2003.1100.5516.0, slightly different from yours. But I'm still having the
same problem.

provide a link to your EPS graphics

I could email you two of my EPS logos, if you'd be willing to try the insert
picture. Send me an email at my throwaway account, if you'd like;
tree_farmer15 at yahoo

Thanks,
Bill