Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
plh plh is offline

Default Frame overrides write protection of linked document?

Hello Everyone,
MS Word 2003 SP2:
What we are trying to create here is a document with a spec sheet in the left
hand frame, and a set of instructions in the right hand frame. Call the main
document Frames.doc. This document is read only. Also, the documents linked to
the two frames in Frames.doc are read only. Call them Left.doc and Right.doc.
However, Frames.doc can override the permissions in the linked files, that is,
if we save Frames.doc under a new name and then open up Left.doc, the changes
are apparent there. What are we doing wrong?
We want to protect the original documents Frames.doc, Left.doc, and Right.doc.
By using the "Save Current Frame As..." option the newly created spec sheet
would be saved. What is the best way to handle this?
Thanx,
-plh

--
Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

If you "Protect" the document (or a section of it) then users cannot write
in there so they can't change it.

If you do not protect it, they can write in there and they can save their
changes.

I would set the file attribute to Read-Only in the file folder. Users will
still be able to open and edit the document, but the file server will force
them to save under a new name when they save.

On 8/2/07 3:20 AM, in article , "plh"
wrote:

Hello Everyone,
MS Word 2003 SP2:
What we are trying to create here is a document with a spec sheet in the left
hand frame, and a set of instructions in the right hand frame. Call the main
document Frames.doc. This document is read only. Also, the documents linked to
the two frames in Frames.doc are read only. Call them Left.doc and Right.doc.
However, Frames.doc can override the permissions in the linked files, that is,
if we save Frames.doc under a new name and then open up Left.doc, the changes
are apparent there. What are we doing wrong?
We want to protect the original documents Frames.doc, Left.doc, and Right.doc.
By using the "Save Current Frame As..." option the newly created spec sheet
would be saved. What is the best way to handle this?
Thanx,
-plh

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410