Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Angel Bivins Angel Bivins is offline

Default Insert a nonbreaking minus sign?

Does anyone know how to insert a nonbreaking minus sign? Like if an author
says -7 to -3 days and you want to keep the minus always with the 7.
--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Insert a nonbreaking minus sign?

Yes, you can easily insert a nonbreaking minus sign in Microsoft Word. Here's how:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the nonbreaking minus sign.
  2. Press the "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "-" keys on your keyboard simultaneously. This will insert the nonbreaking minus sign.
Alternatively, you can also follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the "Symbol" button in the "Symbols" section of the ribbon.
  3. Select "More Symbols" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Mathematical Operators" from the "Subset" drop-down menu.
  5. Scroll down until you find the "Minus Sign" (ˆ’) and select it.
  6. Click on the "Insert" button to insert the minus sign into your document.
  7. Before you close the "Symbol" dialog box, make sure to check the "Nonbreaking" box in the lower left corner.
  8. Click on the "Close" button to close the "Symbol" dialog box.

That's it! You have now inserted a nonbreaking minus sign in your Microsoft Word document.
__________________

Last edited by kevin : April 4th 23 at 03:00 PM
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Insert a nonbreaking minus sign?

Yes, you can insert a nonbreaking minus sign in Microsoft Word. Here's how:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the nonbreaking minus sign.
  2. Press "Ctrl + Shift + -" on your keyboard. This will insert the nonbreaking minus sign.
  3. Alternatively, you can also go to the "Insert" tab in the ribbon, click on "Symbol" and select "More Symbols".
  4. In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Mathematical Operators" from the "Subset" dropdown menu.
  5. Scroll down until you find the nonbreaking minus sign (it looks like a regular minus sign with a small circle in the middle).
  6. Click on the nonbreaking minus sign to select it, then click on the "Insert" button.
  7. The nonbreaking minus sign will now be inserted into your document.

That's it! Now you can use the nonbreaking minus sign to keep the minus sign and the number together on the same line.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Angel Bivins Angel Bivins is offline

Oh yeah! Duh. Thanks LS!
--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design

"LS" wrote:

Control+Shift+-

"Angel Bivins" wrote:

Does anyone know how to insert a nonbreaking minus sign? Like if an author
says -7 to -3 days and you want to keep the minus always with the 7.
--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design
www.wordangel.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Actually, the true minus sign (which is wider than a hyphen, more like an em
dash, and the same width as the plus sign) is naturally nonbreaking; find it
at 2212 in the Mathematical Operators character subset).

"Angel Bivins" wrote in message
Oh yeah! Duh. Thanks LS!
--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design

"LS" wrote:

Control+Shift+-

"Angel Bivins" wrote:

Does anyone know how to insert a nonbreaking minus sign? Like if an

author
says -7 to -3 days and you want to keep the minus always with the 7.
--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design
www.wordangel.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Angel Bivins Angel Bivins is offline

Yup! That worked properly. I typed 2212 in my document and then hit ALT+x
and it converted the 2212 to a true minus sign.
Thanks Suzanne.
--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Actually, the true minus sign (which is wider than a hyphen, more like an em
dash, and the same width as the plus sign) is naturally nonbreaking; find it
at 2212 in the Mathematical Operators character subset).

"Angel Bivins" wrote in message
Oh yeah! Duh. Thanks LS!
--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design
www.wordangel.com

"LS" wrote:

Control+Shift+-

"Angel Bivins" wrote:

Does anyone know how to insert a nonbreaking minus sign? Like if an

author
says -7 to -3 days and you want to keep the minus always with the 7.
--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design
www.wordangel.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
OE OE is offline

I saved it as autotext using the minus key (-). Hit F3 and it inserts the
non-breaking symbol

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Actually, the true minus sign (which is wider than a hyphen, more like an
em
dash, and the same width as the plus sign) is naturally nonbreaking; find
it
at 2212 in the Mathematical Operators character subset).

so
all may benefit.

"Angel Bivins" wrote in message
Oh yeah! Duh. Thanks LS!