Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew[_5_] Andrew[_5_] is offline

Default Hanging indents and numbered lists

When writing exam papers I frequently need to layout a paragraph as follows:
(the following need to be viewed in a mono-spaced font)

1. a) The quick brown fox jumps
over the lazy dog.
b) Jackdaws love my big
sphinx of quartz

This is easy to achieve using manually numbered sections and subsections, using tabs and hanging indents.

However, the nearest I can achieve using automatically numbered lists is as below

1.
a) The quick brown fox jumps
over the lazy dog.
b) Jackdaws love my big
sphinx of quartz.

i.e. I cannot have the section number (1) and the subsection number (a) on the same line when using auto numbered lists. Is there a way I could achieve this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Insert a LISTNUM field where you want the "a)": Press Ctrl+F9 to insert
field delimiters, { }. Type LISTNUM \l 2 (that is, backslash followed by
lowercase L, a space, and 2). Press F9.

If necessary, use Alt+F9 to show/hide field codes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP