Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel-San Daniel-San is offline

Default "Save As" Shortcut Customization?

Hello, helpful MVP-types....

Wondering if it's possible to customize the options that appear in the "save
as" dialog box (Word 2003, WinXP.)

Example:

Open Word

Click "save as" or hit F12.

Box comes up, with buttons down the left side, "My Recent Documents,"
"Desktop," "My Computer," etc.

Is it possible to change those to, for example, a folder within "My
Documents?"

Thanks,
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes you can. The column down the left side of the Save dialog ( in fact, all
the File, SaveAs, Save and Open dialogs) is called the Places Bar. You can
add to this by navigating to and selecting a particular folder you want
added and then click on the Tools Menu and choose Add to My Places. This
will place an icon shortcut to the folder on the Places Bar. You can then
move them up or down as required or right-click and rename them.

If you right-click the Places Bar, you can choose smaller icons so to get
more in view. The dialog is also resizable (it should remember the size you
closed it at and reopen that size) or you can double click the Title bar to
maximise it.

You can get rid of the standard icons if you wish but it needs a registry
hack. There's a Microsoft Knowledge Base article about it somewhere.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Daniel-San" (Rot13) wrote in message
Hello, helpful MVP-types....

Wondering if it's possible to customize the options that appear in the
"save as" dialog box (Word 2003, WinXP.)

Example:

Open Word

Click "save as" or hit F12.

Box comes up, with buttons down the left side, "My Recent Documents,"
"Desktop," "My Computer," etc.

Is it possible to change those to, for example, a folder within "My
Documents?"

Thanks,
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel-San Daniel-San is offline

Upon further review (meaning actually checking,) I do not have this "Add to
My Places" option anywhere that I can find. I've looked at every drop-down
menu I have. under Tools, I have network stuff and folder options only. I am
logged in as an admin while looking.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

"I" wrote ..
Thanks much, Terry.

Dan

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel-San Daniel-San is offline

burying head in sand

Wrong "tools" area. I was looking at the one in the actual folder.

Thanks Terry and Graham.

Dan