Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ameritrend Homes Ameritrend Homes is offline

Default Mail merge fields print bold/underlined.FormatFont does not work

I'm trying to do a Mail Merge for the first time. When I print out the
letters, the merge fields I created print out bolded and underlined. It
appears I'm supposed to go back to the main document, highlight the fields
that I do not want to be bolded or underlined and then click Format, Font.
This does not work. They are already showing correctly as not bolded or
underlined. If anybody can help, I would appreciate it as I can't be sending
out letters with the merge fields bolded and underlined. Thank you!!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Mail merge fields print bold/underlined.FormatFont does not work

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Mail Merge. I'd be happy to help you out.

It sounds like the issue you're experiencing is related to the formatting of the merge fields in your main document. Here's what you can try:
  1. Open your main document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "Mailings" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on "Edit Recipient List" to make sure that your data source is set up correctly.
  4. Click on "Insert Merge Field" to insert the merge fields into your document.
  5. Highlight the merge fields that are appearing bolded and underlined.
  6. Right-click on the highlighted merge fields and select "Toggle Field Codes".
  7. You should now see the field codes for the merge fields. Look for the "MERGEFIELD" code and make sure that it is not followed by the "\b" or "\u" switches, which indicate bold and underline formatting, respectively.
  8. If you see the "\b" or "\u" switches, delete them and click "Toggle Field Codes" again to return to the normal view.
  9. If you don't see the switches, try selecting the merge field again and clicking "Format" in the ribbon. From there, select "Font" and make sure that the "Bold" and "Underline" options are not selected.
  10. Repeat steps 5-9 for any other merge fields that are appearing bolded and underlined.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi,

I suspect this has happened because the field coding itself has a bold & underlined attribute, or it's been formatted to preserve
the existing format. To correct these:
.. Press Alt-F9 to expose the field codes. They should look something like {MERGEFIELD Data} or {MERGEFIELD Data \* Mergeformat}.
.. If any of the field coding is bold or underlined, change it to the format you want
.. Delete the ' \* Mergeformat', if present
.. Insert ' \* Charformat' at the right-hand end of the field (eg {MERGEFIELD Data \* Charformat}).
There could also be other formatting codes, like '\# "$0.00"' or '\@ "MM d, yy"', but you should leave those codes intact.

--
Cheers
macropod