Sharon

Default Why is info from a header in section 3 appearing in the header of.

I have created a fairly simple document with about 6 sections. When I add
text to the header of the first page of section 3, two things happen. The
text is NOT repeated on the subsequent pages of section 3 (despite the fact
that the header DOES say section 3, and it also says "previous"), so I have
to write it in again. However, when I do that, the text then appears not only
in the rest of section 3 but also some - not all - pages of section 1 -
notably the table of contents and a couple of others!! WHY??????????
Jezebel

First: go to File Page Setup and look at the Layout tab. By the sounds of
it you have 'Different first page' checked. Thus the header you add for the
first page of section 3 does not appear on the subsequent pages of section
3, but does appear as the first page of other sections. When you select the
header, the display shows you where you a 'First page header - section 3'
etc.

Second: on the Headers and Footers toolbar there is a 'Same as previous'
button. You currently have this selected, at least for the First Page
header. This means that any change you make applies to previous section(s)
also; and if you were to change the header in the preceding section, the
following section is also changed. Clearing that button breaks the chain at
that point in the document.

"Sharon" wrote in message
I have created a fairly simple document with about 6 sections. When I add
text to the header of the first page of section 3, two things happen. The
text is NOT repeated on the subsequent pages of section 3 (despite the

fact
that the header DOES say section 3, and it also says "previous"), so I

have
to write it in again. However, when I do that, the text then appears not

only
in the rest of section 3 but also some - not all - pages of section 1 -
notably the table of contents and a couple of others!! WHY??????????

Sharon

Thanks..That answers the first part, but not the second...let me try to
reiterate the problem...On page 18, let us say, I have created a new section
to begin on the next page (19). which is section 3...I turn off the "same as
previous" marker and enter my text inot the header...then I go to page 20 and
turn off the same as prevous marker and add my text. NOW the header text is
appearing on subsequent pages as it is supposed to BUT it is also appearing
on pages 2, 4 and 7 (for example), which are in section 1 and in no way
related to section 3.
TY
Sharon