Grey Dingo

Default Word count in Word table cell wrong if whole cell selected

I get different results if I use Word Count on a complete cell in Word
(selected by clicking the small, bold arrow off to the side), versus
selecting the text within the cell.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.word.tables
Jean-Guy Marcil

Grey Dingo was telling us:
Grey Dingo nous racontait que :

I get different results if I use Word Count on a complete cell in Word
(selected by clicking the small, bold arrow off to the side), versus
selecting the text within the cell.

I bet you always get one more when you use the first method...

This is because Word counts the End of Cell marker (¤) as a word.

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Grey Dingo

Bob and Jean-Guy,
I paste text from other Word documents, Web sites, or PDFs into a cell of a
Word table, using Paste Special/Unformatted Text. I select the entire area of
the cell by finding the small black arrow just inside the left border of the
cell, then select it. I then click Tools/Word Count.

In a document I am working on, for example, the Word Count is 1,178, there
are 6,996 characters with no spaces, 8,103 characters with spaces, 71
paragraphs, and 183 lines. Using the Word Count toolbar gives the same number
of Words.

If I then select the text, by dragging over it, the Word Count is 1047
words, 6,217 chars no spaces, 7,244 chars with spaces, 19 paras, and 100
lines. The End-of-Cell Marker is not selected, but clearly the difference is
more than 1.

I write synopses of many documents, in Word Table template, reducing
documents to an exact number of Words. It is simple more convenient to select
the whole cell for my frequent checks on number of Words.

Thank you for your interest .
Remerciement.

Graeme Roberts aka Grey Dingo

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Can you give a specific example (steps to reproduce)
and include the version of Word you're using?

========
"Grey Dingo" Grey wrote in message ...
I get different results if I use Word Count on a complete cell in Word
(selected by clicking the small, bold arrow off to the side), versus
selecting the text within the cell.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Graeme,

What version of Word are you doing (from help=about)

If you create a new Word document and add a 1 cell table then
paste from a web page into that cell do you get this result?

If you go to http://www.lorem-ipsum.info/generator3
and generate 10 paragraphs of "Standard Lipsum"
and paste into the table cell as unformatted text do you
get the same disparity with the two methods you're using
to check?

If not, do you have an URL where you select text that
shows the large differences?

Are you pasting using Edit=Paste special and using the
plain Unformatted Text setting?

========
"Grey Dingo" wrote in message ...
[...]

Grey Dingo

Hi Bob and Jean-Guy,

I am using Word 2003 SP1.

I created a one-cell table in Word and copied the 10 paragraph lorem ipsum
generated in HTML format then pasted it into the cell using Edit/Paste
Special/HTML. I then Word Counted using whole cell select and cursor select
(which does not include the End of Cell Marker). The counts were identical in
every respect.

I then used Edit/Paste Special/Unformatted from the HTML original. The
counts were identical in every respect to the previous test for both methods
of selection, except for the Number of Characters with No Spaces, which was
one character less than the "Pasted as HTML" version, with both methods of
selection.

I could generate a table which summarizes the results in a Word or Excel
document. It is confusing!

Here is a link to a Web page that I copied and pasted as unformatted text
into my fairly complex table (certainly far from a single cell). Doubting my
sanity, I Word Counted again, using whole cell selection and cursor selection
of the text. The results, once again, were very different.

http://www.forensic-psych.com/articles/artCaptive.html

I would be happy to share the Word file if you would like to try it for
yourselves.
Thanks a million!

Graeme

"Grey Dingo" wrote in message ...
[...]

Shauna Kelly

Hi Grey Dingo

Try this test to explain some of the things that are going on:

1. Create a new document and in that document create a 1-row, 1-column
table.

2. Paste the text of that website into the cell using Edit Paste Special
Unformatted text. No matter what I do, I get a word count from Word of 5,848
words.

3. Put a few hard returns after the table, and create a new 1-row, 1-column
table. In that cell type one word (eg "dingo") and then do ctrl-Shift-L to
apply the List Bullet style.

4. Observations:

(a) If I select just the "dingo" text I get 2 words (one for the dingo and
one for the bullet).

(b) If I select the whole "dingo" cell I get a word count of 5,850. That
might explain the very large differences observed in your earlier posts.

For some final amusement, note that if you get Word to do a count of the
whole document, it does not count words in headers, footers, text boxes or
other shapes.

By the way, the following might help, depending on your needs:
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/Comp...unt/index.html

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Grey Dingo" wrote in message
[...]

Grey Dingo

Great Shauna! You are right and I look forward to trying Complete Word Count.
Thank you all for your help.

Graeme Roberts
Grey Dingo
Old dogs learn new tricks.

"Grey Dingo" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Graeme,

Interesting. If you use the 'White' (whole row) selection arrow
on the 2nd single row table (where it now finds the end of row/table
marker it counts the selection correctly.

If you use the black selection (single cell/range) selection arrow
Word does not see that you've 'selected' part of the document and
appears to give the count for the whole document.

======
"Grey Dingo" wrote in message ...
Great Shauna! You are right and I look forward to trying Complete Word Count.
Thank you all for your help.

Graeme Roberts
Grey Dingo
Old dogs learn new tricks.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Shauna Kelly

Hi Bob

It gets curioser and curioser as someone once said.

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"Grey Dingo" wrote in message
Great Shauna! You are right and I look forward to trying Complete Word
Count.
Thank you all for your help.

Graeme Roberts
Grey Dingo
Old dogs learn new tricks.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Bob S

Word Count also fails if the selection is a table column.

(It also fails for Alt+Drag selections of ordinary text, but this is
understandable I guess...)

I assume that whoever coded Word Count simply neglected to test for
all the different types of selections that are possible, and his case
statement fell out the bottom to "count everything".

It is probably easy enough to fix Word Count for table cells and
columns "just" by testing for those types of selections and counting
what is selected. It already works for discontiguous selections, so
table cells and columns ought to be possible.

Someone would have to point this out to them, and some programmer
would have to be interested enough to sneak it in despite the product
managers.

Bob S

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
WordPerfect keyboard macro>Word equivalent? Anty New Users 2 March 13th 05 06:23 PM
Word Is Throwing A New Page After One Particular Table Cell Malcolm Hegarty Tables 2 February 24th 05 08:21 PM