Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Distressed in the desert Distressed in the desert is offline

Default Fixing column widths - Vista

I have a word table made up of 21 Columns each of varying widths. I'd like
to be able to set these columns so that they never change. I've adjusted the
table width to equal the sum of the column widths and typed in the column
widths individually in table properties.
This worked fine with Windows XP but with Vista each time I type something
long in a column eg email address it adjusts all the columns so that the
information fits best. I don't want this!! I'd like the information to wrap
but despite choosing this option it just won't listen!!
The table must conform so that I can email it to other users that aren't
using Vista.
Can anyone help please?!?!?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In the Table Properties dialog box, click the Options button (on the Table
tab), and clear the option to "Automatically resize contents."

Once the table is setup the way you want it, select it and save as an
AutoText entry for easy insertion in the future.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Distressed in the desert" wrote in message
I have a word table made up of 21 Columns each of varying widths. I'd like
to be able to set these columns so that they never change. I've adjusted
the
table width to equal the sum of the column widths and typed in the column
widths individually in table properties.
This worked fine with Windows XP but with Vista each time I type something
long in a column eg email address it adjusts all the columns so that the
information fits best. I don't want this!! I'd like the information to
wrap
but despite choosing this option it just won't listen!!
The table must conform so that I can email it to other users that aren't
using Vista.
Can anyone help please?!?!?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Distressed in the desert[_2_] Distressed in the desert[_2_] is offline

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried everything as suggested, compiled the
table from scratch, put in all the column names (which fitted fine as no
words are longer than my desired column widths). But still when I type in a
word that's longer than the column width, the width adjusts.
I've even tried with a table of just one cell - I made the column and table
3cm wide then typed in a website that is longer than 3cm at font size 12 and
it adjusts to fit. Any other ideas??

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

On the Table tab of the Table Properties dialog box, clear the "Preferred
width" box.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Table and column widths Mary Ann Tables 0 October 29th 07 05:26 PM
Table column widths Biddy Tables 7 August 28th 07 11:49 AM
Adjust column widths in tables doublew Tables 5 September 1st 06 05:10 PM
Table column widths DanB Tables 5 June 23rd 05 11:37 AM
Column widths nanner130 Tables 1 March 2nd 05 03:47 PM