Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jmls

Default In Word, how can I start numbering pages beginning with page two?

I'm using MS Word 2002.

I need the second page of my document to be labeled, "1".

I checked the Page Setup/Layout tab/Different first page checkbox and then
inserted page numbers to no avail.

I have also tried adding a Section Break on the first page. Then breaking
the connection between the footer on the first and second pages. Then
inserting page numbers with the "Start at:" field set to 0, but Word keeps
asking for a number between 1 and 32766.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

If all you want is page numbers displayed on the pages (not a Table of
Contents) you can insert a calculation field in the header (having selected
the different first page option so the header starts on page two).

{ = {Page} - 1 }

Take a look at http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm.
For even more, see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Page_Numbering.htm.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"jmls" wrote in message
I'm using MS Word 2002.

I need the second page of my document to be labeled, "1".

I checked the Page Setup/Layout tab/Different first page checkbox and then
inserted page numbers to no avail.

I have also tried adding a Section Break on the first page. Then breaking
the connection between the footer on the first and second pages. Then
inserting page numbers with the "Start at:" field set to 0, but Word keeps
asking for a number between 1 and 32766.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jmls

Default In Word, how can I start numbering pages beginning with page t

Thanks Suzanne. I should have mentioned in my post that I am trying to use
lower case roman numerals (i,ii,iii,...) for the page numbers.

"jmls" wrote in message
I'm using MS Word 2002.

I need the second page of my document to be labeled, "1".

I checked the Page Setup/Layout tab/Different first page checkbox and then
inserted page numbers to no avail.

I have also tried adding a Section Break on the first page. Then breaking
the connection between the footer on the first and second pages. Then
inserting page numbers with the "Start at:" field set to 0, but Word keeps
asking for a number between 1 and 32766.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jmls

Thanks Charles. This was a great solution, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to
work with lower case roman numerals (i,ii,iii,...) Looks like I'll just have
to have two separate documents...my cover page without page numbering and
then a separate document with the pages numbered.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Steve

"jmls" wrote in message
I'm using MS Word 2002.

I need the second page of my document to be labeled, "1".

I checked the Page Setup/Layout tab/Different first page checkbox and then
inserted page numbers to no avail.

I have also tried adding a Section Break on the first page. Then breaking
the connection between the footer on the first and second pages. Then
inserting page numbers with the "Start at:" field set to 0, but Word keeps
asking for a number between 1 and 32766.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In that case, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Unless you're using roman numerals, you should be able to start at 0.

This,
combined with the "Different first page" setting, obviates the need for

section break.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.