delane

Default Merging 3 separate documents w/ different page numberings to one

I have three separate documents which have different types of page
numberings. When I attempt to copy and paste them onto one single document,
the font becomes different, the page numbers change, there are underlines
where there used to not be any, etc.
How do I merge these documents onto one without causing all of the changes?
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?ZGVsYW5l?=,

I have three separate documents which have different types of page
numberings. When I attempt to copy and paste them onto one single document,
the font becomes different, the page numbers change, there are underlines
where there used to not be any, etc.
How do I merge these documents onto one without causing all of the changes?

Not easily.

1. The font is controlled by a Style. If you have no idea what I'm talking
about, then the name of that style is probably "Normal". Look at the left end
of the Formatting toolbar and you should see it.

In order to retain the font when moving one file into another, you'd need to
format using styles of different names in the different documents.

2. The page numbering can be maintained by judicious use of Section Breaks. My
suggestion for you, in this case, would be to pull the documents together using
the MasterDocument feature (in the Outline View). This should take care of
header/footer and page numbering problems for you, to a certain extent.

After you've brought the files together in this manner, use the "Delete
Subdocument" button to merge everything into a single "normal" file (remove the
links to the original files).

3. About the underlining: it sounds as if "Track Changes" is on, somewhere or
other. Make sure that's OFF in all the documents before you start.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)