Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fred UK

Default Scroll up stops at Section Break

I have large documents with upwards of 20 new page section breaks. When near
end of the docs, and I try to scroll back up the doc I hit a point where I
cannot go furhter. PLEASE HELP, my users are getting very frustrated with
the template.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RnJlZCBVSw==?=,

I have large documents with upwards of 20 new page section breaks. When near
end of the docs, and I try to scroll back up the doc I hit a point where I
cannot go furhter. PLEASE HELP, my users are getting very frustrated with
the template.

From the sound of it, the files' internal structures have been damaged, probably
in one or more of the section breaks. which version(s) of Word do you have
available?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fred UK

Cindy,

It happens on Word2000 Sp3 and Word2003 Sp1/2 under Windows XP.

The base template contains approx 8 section breaks, and each new
Chapter/Appendix generates 2/3 additional section breaks. Additionally, each
page layout change Landscape/portrait will generate 2 more.

Macros/VB is used to insert new chapters/appendices/landscape and other
special page inserts.

All sections are intact with their Header/Footers unlinked from previous.

The pheonmenon occurs on old and new documents.

The scroll up has no definite number of pages/sections that it will allow
you to go from your start point. The only way to go past the "point" is to
move the Scroll Bar a long way or Cntrl+Home" and go forwrd to the place you
wanted to get to.

Here's hoping you can help.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?RnJlZCBVSw==?=,

I have large documents with upwards of 20 new page section breaks. When near
end of the docs, and I try to scroll back up the doc I hit a point where I
cannot go furhter. PLEASE HELP, my users are getting very frustrated with
the template.

From the sound of it, the files' internal structures have been damaged, probably
in one or more of the section breaks. which version(s) of Word do you have
available?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Fred,

Section-related formatting (such as page orientation, headers/footers) is stored
"in" section breaks (including the last paragraph mark of a document). This is a
long-standing source of instability in Word documents. The more section breaks
you have, and the more they're "fiddled", the greater the chances something in
the document will break. Infinite repagination, crashes, inability to scroll
into some text... all these are indications that something has "gone bad"
internally.

If you can still open and save the document, then the chance of saving without
data loss is good. Try opening such a document in Word 2003. File/Save as to XML
file format. Close. Open it again and save back to *.doc format. If you're
lucky, this round-tripping through a converter will straighten out whatever has
gotten mixed up and the document will perform normally.

If you're seeing this problem consistently, and you can determine a pattern (it
always happens to the section type X), you may need to check the macro code
generating the sections. It's possible a problem has been programmed into
them...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fred UK

The problem sometimes occurs immediately a new section is inserted. Other
times there is no problem. If the document is closed(and saved) then
reopened, it will work differently, in that the scroll up could work fine or
it could "stop" at a different place to the last time.

I take your point about the info being in last paragraphs of the sections
and document being "corrupted" somehow, but how can I get at that info to
check if damage is occuring?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Fred.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RnJlZCBVSw==?=,

The problem sometimes occurs immediately a new section is inserted. Other
times there is no problem. If the document is closed(and saved) then
reopened, it will work differently, in that the scroll up could work fine or
it could "stop" at a different place to the last time.

I take your point about the info being in last paragraphs of the sections
and document being "corrupted" somehow, but how can I get at that info to
check if damage is occuring?

In the actual section break, and in the last paragraph mark of the document
(which defines the last section, or only section if a document has just one).

You can't get directly at it, and even if you could, you probably couldn't
"read" the binary code to interpret it.

FWIW, if I haven't been careful when coding, I've done this kind of thing to
section breaks, tables, and field codes. In newer versions Microsoft has closed
some of these "loopholes" I and others have found, but there are quite a few of
them. About all you can do is put logging information into the code to help you
track down which sections are responsible, then take a really close look at
what's going on...