Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stuart Grantham

Default Why can't I change Normal.dot?

I have tried to change Normal.dot according to the online help instructions.
The trouble is that every time I try to save my changes I get an error
message that says I can't change on open file.

Incidentally, the online help suggests that I will find Templates in
......../user/application data/microsoft/templates
but the application data folder never appears in the "my documents" dialogue
box.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

It is not under "my documents"; It is under

c:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Use FileOpen with the Files of type set to All Word Documents or Document
Templates and navigate to that folder and open the Normal.dot template to
make your changes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Stuart Grantham" Stuart wrote in
message ...
I have tried to change Normal.dot according to the online help
instructions.
The trouble is that every time I try to save my changes I get an error
message that says I can't change on open file.

Incidentally, the online help suggests that I will find Templates in
......./user/application data/microsoft/templates
but the application data folder never appears in the "my documents"
dialogue
box.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Easier way to locate and open normal.dot

Windows key-F to find it
When you find it DO NOT double click on it to open. You will open a doc
based on the template, NOT the template.
Right click and go to Open

You have now opened the original and any changes you make will stick.

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I forgot to add that you must set the criteria to search in Hidden
Folders for this to work.

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stuart Grantham

Thanks Doug, but even when I look in Explore and go through Documents and
Settings to get to [User Name] the first folder listed is Cookies, not
Application Data.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stuart Grantham

Thanks Fred for your prompt reply.

Using your method I have been able to solve the problem.

Thanks again,

Stuart